Advice on car audio places in Palmy!

mj_oliver, Feb 7, 9:33am
Got a busted radio aerial and a dodgy speaker that could do with a jab. Just moved to the region - any recommendations!

jono2912, Feb 7, 9:56am
Do it yourself, they're both pretty easy to replace normally (don't spread the word.) and if you need help, just yell out and someone here (Andrea normally is quicker typing than me) will help you out.

andrea_w, Feb 7, 10:05am
The aerial can be a right prick of a thing to replace. but it can also be a 5 min job!
What makes you say your speaker is dodgy!
Make/model/year please OP

mj_oliver, Feb 7, 10:14am
1994 Toyota Corolla Hatchback. Factory stereo - right hand speaker plays fine, but the left hand one either doesn't go at all.

mj_oliver, Feb 7, 10:16am
. or periodically cuts in when the volume's high. Busted wiring, perhaps!

andrea_w, Feb 7, 10:25am
When the speaker is not working, give the stereo a smack. a few times if need be. If the speaker turns on (which I suspect it will) you have dry solder joints within the stereo. It's new stereo time if it the speaker problem bothers you :)
If that doesn't work, there will most likely be a fault within the speaker. new speaker time!
Is the aerial in your car pillar mounted! (just above the drivers door)

mj_oliver, Feb 7, 10:30am
1) - re stereo - gotcha.
2) Yes, yes it is.

andrea_w, Feb 7, 10:53am
I'll tell you how to replace the aerial. you decide if you want to do it :)

First up, you need to buy a replacement. It's a complete unit including the coaxial aerial cable (I think on your car this goes all the way to the stereo, on some cars there is a join around the kick panel). It will look something like this - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NiorhpJHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg The aerial is very specific to the car you have so don't let anyone tell you a universal aerial is the way to go. Ed will stock it if you can't find a local supplier - http://www.edsauto.co.nz/

There are 2 screws holding down the 'base' to the body of the car, remove them and pull as much of the aerial you can up out of the pillar (you won't get much). Cut the coaxial cable but do NOT let it go. Grab the base and pull up (this will remove the metal aerial, the base, the 2' long plastic tube inside the pillar and just leave behind the coaxial cable)
Get some good tape and tape the new aerial socket (the part that will plug into the back of the stereo) onto the cut coaxial cable. Make the temp join nice and smooth with no odd bumps on it. You can spray it with window cleaner to help lube it!
Remove the drivers kick panel and locate the coaxial cable, jiggling the cable at the top of the pillar can help!
Once located, pull the cable down - it can help to have a person feeding it down to you too. Don't pull too hard/force it or you will pull the tape off one end, giving you a headache! Pull it through till the new base is sitting right on the roof.
You now have a heap of coaxial cable on the drivers floor area. feed it behind the dash to the stereo!
Sometimes you can reach the back of the stereo to unplug the old aerial and plug in the new, sometimes you can't. If you can't, the stereo needs to come out to plug the new aerial in

The ball is in your court now :)

Keep us updated on the speaker issue!

mj_oliver, Feb 7, 11:00am
That rules so much. Many, many thanks. :D

andrea_w, Feb 7, 11:05am
No worries :)
Just update this thread if you decide to fit it yourself, need to remove the stereo and get stuck! One of us will be able to help you out there too

jacko, May 18, 10:33pm
what type of speakers can i put into my 94 toyota corolla hatchback? the spots where the speakers are now dont look like they could get very big.