Need to buy car---- ADVICE PLEASE

bloggs28, Dec 18, 4:02am
Have a 1700cc Honda stream, which I love but need to upgrade, these are some of the things we need
- car to go away in with family,
- 2000 - 3000cc,
- 6 -7 seats or big 5 seater,
- would love 4wd ,but not a major.
- $10,000 - $16,000
- economical

Will use mostly to drive back and forth to school each day and an odd holiday trip.
We have 3growing boys aged 11, 8 and 4 years old, have looked at Honda odyssey and other cars but am just getting confused now, so instead of reading threads thought I would ask. Your advice would be much appreciatedTHANKS

franc123, Dec 18, 4:09am
Why not just go with the Odyssey!It ticks most of your boxes, forget the 4x4 idea if economy is really important, its more $ in running and purchase costs guaranteed.If most of your driving wasn't the school run and other urban commuting and or you wished to tow something heavyish on a regualr basis I'd recommend going to a 6cyl wagon like a Camry or of course a Falcodore.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 4:15am
VW Touran,

It uses the revolutionary 6 Speed DSG automatic with the amazing FSI engines. This technology was a huge leap forward and other manufacturers are only just starting to catch up and clone this technology now.

What the engine and transmission mean is that you get plenty of power and plenty of economy at the same time. You also get fantastic safety (usually around 8 airbags + pre-tensioners etc) they are lovely to drive and just miles better than the competition in every way for the price.

The Touran is the product of VW spending an obscene amount of money in development, drive one and see/feel the difference for yourself.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 4:19am
Alternatively,
If you want a more luxurious 5 seater as opposed to a 7 seater. Your money will also buy you (just) a Skoda or VW Passat Diesel. These cars are part of the same VW revolution (VW own Skoda and the cars are mechanically the same).

You can still get the FSI and FSI turbo engines but the best option is their brilliant Diesels. Those engines will give you monumental power and stillbe like running a little 1300cc petrol in terms of cost for the School run.

In that price range the decision is easy, VW rule the roost for what you are doing, no one else comes close for that money.

grangies, Dec 18, 4:28am
But they're no bigger than a Honda Stream.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 4:31am
What!!
Passat wagon is massive inside. The Touran may not be that physically big on the outside (which is what you want for the School run) but has plenty of go and the back seat folds properly away giving plenty of room on the inside. (although in fairness is comparable to the Stream)
If the Touran is too tame the Passat comes with some extremely powerful engines too.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 18, 4:37am
*Facepalm* they are random examples as explained. You can of course get a wagon. Sheeeesh. Why not recommend something yourself instead of nitpicking.

Oh and for what its worth, yes the Honda's seats fold away but I think the point the OP is making is the kids are a bit cramped when in one row. The Touran while not a lot bigger at least comes with 3 individually adjustable seats in the rear. (some but not all).

BUT AGAIN the Passat is bigger in the back still.

bloggs28, Dec 21, 4:36am
Thanks guyz

kazbanz, Dec 21, 5:46am
Bloggs--I secont the suggestion of an odyssey as the logical step up size wise from the stream. Or an Ipsum or a Pressage.-all are bigger 7/8 seaters.

craig04, Dec 21, 6:13am
+1 for the Pressage

thejazzpianoma, Dec 21, 6:31am
I think you guys missed the bit where they said they wanted economical.

trdbzr, Dec 21, 7:50am
I think you missed it aswell. Why else would you recommend something unreliable like a Touran!

bloggs28, Dec 21, 7:50am
Thanks for suggestions, can't have everything. Will just have to wait till the boys grow up to get a dream car lol.
Will look at Pressage as haven't seen one of those.
Anything will be economical than my hubby's choice of a V6 Holden Adventra.
But hey I'm a woman and don't know much about cars this is why I
thought members best place for advice.

richardmayes, Dec 21, 9:22am
Adventras are a 4WD Commodore wagon aren't they! Have heard innuendoes about thirsty fuel consumption in those.

Don't rule out an ordinary 6-cylinder Falcon or Commodore wagon though, driven sensibly they use a lot less gas than you might imagine.
And they are so enormously wide, in the back seat you are almost closer to the person in front of you than the person alongside you, so there's REAL room for 3, especially 3 kids.

(Plus you are driving a proper car, not some god-awful people-mover thingamy. )

245tee, Dec 21, 9:30am
Try a Toyota Ipsum (imported version) 2.4L auto with tiptronic change on the steering wheel. Adjustable headlight angle and spring ride for when the car is fully loaded. Power windows remote locking climate control etc etc. Has 7 full size and fully adjustable seats. Back two rows fully foldable for a huge flat surface area. Even with 7 seats up there is a large storage volume beneath a lift up/removeable floor cover at the rear, of course this is at the expense of a skinny spare wheel stored outside under the floor.(Only get this in the imported version. I think the NZ version is called a Verso and the 7 seats are optional.) We have never had to try out the spare wheel yet. Have done heaps of weekend travelling to ski-fields loaded with gear and kids and friends. Roof rack on the rails of course to carry most of the skis and boards. Lots of drink holders, and plenty of storage for personal stuff in the doors and the seat backs. No lack of power with the 2.4l motor and reasonably economical. Been loaded with 7 people, 5 bikes on the bike rack at the rear roof box on top fully loaded and still races along. Good thing is it doesn't look like a people mover. The import version has real mag wheels not wheel covers. Plus the usual Toyota reliability. Bought a 2002 model in 2006. We keep up the maintenance and have never had any trouble. (Except for a jammed power mirror which just happened a few days ago which is why I am in this forum). Doesn't feel like a big car to drive, just as easy doing school runs or trips up the street to the local take a way. We are very happy with our Ipsum.

trdbzr, Dec 21, 9:44am
Toyota Gaia is also a good option

richardmayes, Dec 21, 8:13pm
^^^ true that. Karori in the mornings is Toyota Ipsum City; everybody has one, there must be a reason!

richard198, Dec 21, 8:48pm
Anything but the Honda! (Oddity)

craig04, Dec 22, 3:21am
There is more to economical than simply fuel consumption as you well know.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 22, 10:51am
That there is. However, those vans are not more economical or possibly even as economical in other ways though either.
There is no service cost or reliability advantage and depreciation wise you would be struggling to do as well as the VW/Skoda's of that age and price point.
I just fail to see the point in those vehicles, they are not pleasant to manouver in town and they drink the fuel something shocking in those conditions too. yet these are precisely the conditions they are supposed to be run in (school run, shopping etc).

thejazzpianoma, Dec 22, 10:52am
Ideal!
Also, if you run out of room in that you could do 3 trips in the same time you would do one in the Ipsum.

jason18, Dec 22, 6:42pm
Our neighbours upgraded from a toyota enima to some big VW People mover. What a CAR! Goes like hell looks the part and has a huge amount of room.