2003 Teana 230 JK Battery light comes on in the da

superiornz, Feb 9, 8:43am
Hey guys, the battery light has come on in my dash. just happened when i started the car and started driving. it was perfectly normal before. i didnt hear any belt snap or squeel.

My guess is its either the battery or the alternator! Does anyone know how to check! will the self diagnose mode be able to tell you exactly what the fault is instead of just 'battery not charging'! If so, does anyone remember how to get into the diagnose mode (from memory it was like pump the accelerator 5 times) and have a list of codes!

If it is the alternator (my guess because the battery looks pretty new and terminals are tight and clean). how much would i expect to cost in my car from a garage! approx $300 for the part and 2 hours labour!

any help would be greatly aprecaited,

thanks guys!

jasongroves, Feb 9, 8:52am
Easy-ish to check if you have a multi-meter.even easier to just pop into your local auto sparky and ask them to check for you:)
Generally do it on the spot and at no cost.
Could be something simple like a loose belt (they don't always make a noise).
Good thing about going to the auto sparky is that if they find a fault, they can give you an estimate or quote to fix it on the spot.

superiornz, Feb 9, 8:56am
I have a few friends with a multimeter, what exactly should we be testing ! the voltage output of the battery or the output of the alternator!

also would you recommend i take it to a mechanic or a auto sparky!

jasongroves, Feb 9, 8:56am

jasongroves, Feb 9, 8:59am
You really need to check both.having the battery tested with a hydrometer is important also, something which an auto sparky would have on hand.

superiornz, Feb 9, 8:59am
thnks for that jason, would you have the list of code by any chance as well!

jasongroves, Mar 30, 11:16am
I do, but would take ages to print screen, save and upload the whole lot:)
Easier if you post any trouble codes here, although I don't think from memory thata faulty alternator or battery will throw up a code anyway.