Battery Charging?

Page 1 / 2
trogedon, Jan 16, 4:18am
I took the 6 Volt battery out of the VW today. It's flat (well more box like - but you get the idea). I've put it on my 12 volt charger. Will that charge it! How long might it take! (my battery tester is buried deep in my garage for those who wonder about such things).

74nova, Jan 16, 4:20am
It will damage it, you need a 6V charger.

motorway, Jan 16, 4:25am
Simple maths innit.12 into 6 don't go.

NZTools, Jan 16, 4:26am
or charge two 6v batteries in series.

trogedon, Jan 16, 4:46am
Yes but.wouldn't it just take less time!

skull, Jan 16, 5:07am
It is too much over voltage, use the correct charger or be prepared to buy a new battery.

trogedon, Jan 16, 5:11am
Ok, cheers. I'll borrow the correct charger.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 16, 5:45am
Yeah. Do it on 240V and it'll be 40 times faster.

gammelvind, Jan 16, 6:02am
It will cook it

tuttyclan, Jan 16, 7:17am
Charge and maintain battery chargers have a 6 and 12 volt option.

panicky, Jan 16, 7:38am
I've seen the blow of a 12v battery when someone put 24v through it, although I am sure it was also the result of a dead short internally.

ropes2, Jan 16, 7:42am
Why was the battery flat, have you not used the car in a while! Or a symptom of a dying alternator or failing battery perhaps! Can you check the water level in the battery or is it sealed!

matthew111, Jan 16, 7:53am
Ive been told several times by the likes of the AA modern batteries do not charge well if at all. buy new.

fordkiwi27, Jan 16, 8:22am
eh whhhat!

unbeatabull, Jan 16, 8:23am
Thats because most people don't have chargers capable of charging Calcium batteries.

mantagsi, Jan 16, 8:27am
crikey, a 6v VW, amazed there are any left that havent been attacked by the 12v brigade! 6v chargers are not impossible to come by, I gave mine away when I cleared out all my old vw 6v stuff. I do know that running a 6v vw starter motor on a 12v system gets the old motor cranking pretty damn good, provided you dont keep it up too long she'll be good as gold hehe

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 16, 8:58am
Ignore him. At best he's a half-witted drongo.

snj11, Jan 16, 9:02am
I work in the indusrty and can confirm that an older style charger will never get a calcium battery up to anything more than 80% therefore slowly killing it as the same goes for a cars alternator - doesnt put enough out to charge from flat. Calcium battries require a higher rate of charge

You can of course get a modern charger designed for the job

bigfatmat1, Jan 16, 9:12am
Just shake a calcium battery while its on charge on the normal charger it will be fine. Don't listen to the AA they cannot differentiate between a flat tyre and broken windscreen The AA have no creditability in my books. troggy use a 6v charger to prevent fire and explosion or even 'death by 6v batt'

snj11, Jan 16, 9:15am
I work with these things everyday "just shaking it" will not make an old charger get a calcium battery to a good level

solarboy, Jan 16, 12:14pm
Don't all chargers have a 6 volt output as well as 12 these days !Mine does but it also has a price label that says 12 pound -17 + 6 pence ( i.e. OLD )And I haven't had any dealings with calcium batteries yet . Is the under bonnet position labelled " Fit Calcium Battery Only " or similar and is the alternator set to charge to a higher voltage or something ! In other words, " What's the diff ! "( And I don't mean the big lump in the centre of the back axle lol ! )

trogedon, Jan 16, 4:48pm
Thanks guys. My charger (I remember the old one dad had that was 6 & 12volt) is only 12 volt but someone from here is going to lend me their 6 volt charger. I've not started the VW for some time (and yes, it's still 6 Volt) hence it being flat.

bigfatmat1, Jan 16, 6:22pm
actually the calcium inhibits the bubbling or gassing effect from lower voltages so they suffer acid stratification. So yes shaking mixes the electrolite enabling a even charge through the battery. enabling it to reach 100% charge. Try it one day charge it shake it recharge it

destiny6nz, Jan 16, 6:42pm
it would have been easier to ask someone to give you a crash start.
or drop the battery at the local mechanic to charge (if you are in walking, bus distance)

pup2, Jan 16, 7:13pm
Matt is right. Give it a go