Brakes to the floor

Page 1 / 2
forrest39, Oct 21, 1:40am
just been driving and the brakes lost their pressure. the car still brakes but only when my foot is right on the floor. i checked the master cylinder and there was only liquid measuring 5ml up the side so only a few tbsp left all up.(naughty naughty, not checked)so i topped up to halfway and pumped brakes a few times but its too late, checked for leaks and cant find any.so question is do i just need to bleed again oris there something more serious wrong! please help, dont wanna go to the effort of bleeding if its something i get a mechanic to do

lyonruge, Oct 21, 1:43am
Well, with all that quality information, i can tell you for sure.maybe

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:46am
sarcasm!im asking for help

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:48am
i am asking because i know that i could repair but i just wouldnt know where to start when identifying what the problem is

lyonruge, Oct 21, 1:48am
Make/model/year, have you checked the hoses under pressure, are the pads/shoes worn, is there brake fluid running down the firewall behind the booster, inside on firewall.

crzyhrse, Oct 21, 1:49am
What you did is not bleeding - it's called 'topping up and praying'.

You'll need to start by bleeding the master cylinder, then each brake line. Which seems beyond you. So off to the mechanics you go.

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:52am
i didnt say that i bleed it.read my post. i can bleed it no problem.and i also said that i cant see any leaks anywhere at all ie on the fire wall etcas to inside of firewall a quick check and nothing

lyonruge, Oct 21, 1:55am
sorry, was trying to help, but its a bit hard without knowing the required information.

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:55am
mits 94 emeraude fwd 130,000
happy to give the info just feeling to see if anyone out there to help

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:56am
yeah me too. happy to provide info

lyonruge, Oct 21, 1:57am
Auto or manual!

forrest39, Oct 21, 1:58am
auto and i replaced all brake pads about 3-4 months ago

bigjerry, Oct 21, 1:58am
I would be bleeding the system, possibly the pads are very low also. But yeah, depends really on system. Bleed them and see what happens.

lyonruge, Oct 21, 2:00am
well, if theres no leaks, you should be able to pump it up once you fill it up, if not, theres a leak. either way, probably will need to be bled anyways, so you might as well do that now, you may find the problem (leak) while doing it.

crzyhrse, Oct 21, 2:01am
You haven't bled it yet. So why would you need to bleed it AGAIN!

forrest39, Oct 21, 2:01am
got all belts replaced about two months ago and the mechanic degreasd and cleaned up the whole engine and bay for me,cant see any fluid anywhere, its all clean so no leaks in the engine bay at all

lyonruge, Oct 21, 2:01am
when you replaced the pads, how did you get the pistons back! did you open a bleeder or just push the fluid back through the system! does it have abs!

lyonruge, Oct 21, 2:03am
, the leak may be at a wheel, or a flexi hose, not in the engine bay

forrest39, Oct 21, 2:03am
my appologies wrote it wrong.nah havent bled at all.dont wanna go to the trouble if its not gonna tell me anything

lyonruge, Oct 21, 2:04am
its part of the diagnosis, think you should take it in.

forrest39, Oct 21, 2:05am
ok so gonna go check all the wheels etc for fluid leaks

forrest39, Oct 21, 2:07am
well thats answered my question then, i will go to trouble and just see what happens then

lyonruge, Oct 21, 2:07am
oh boy! oyu tell us it has no leaks and you havnt even looked yet! see ya, this is a job for someone far more qualified than you.

bigjerry, Oct 21, 2:09am
BLEED THE SYSTEM!

crzyhrse, Oct 21, 2:09am
You're going to need to bleed it. But you should also investigate where the fluid has gone. It may simply be that the level was never correct. Or it could be leaking.