When a car sits for 7 months do I change the Oil!

Page 1 / 2
illusion_, Feb 10, 11:17am
lol . good spotting

farnortherner, Feb 10, 12:08pm
PARDON, when you have been driving an old ea ford fairmont for 5 years, I didnt mind everything else till now been mentioned that the airbag problem effects the warrant of fitness. So dont say getting info is like pulling teeth.Car to me is something that I do like, like I said in the other thread I was complaining about the shotty wof of it being passed with the airbag illuminating.What does this thread have to do with it, I paid for it first as I had no car, and met him half way with a lady that drove me out there to leeston to pick it up that saturday. Last I seen of the man.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 12:14pm
I really dont know what you are on about.Im just asking alot of question about it as I want to know what I could have to expect.Solo mum with four children and I dont have the time to have anyone try and rip me off.I got the car for 950 done me well for 6 months and I believe the car can do alot more.Im just annoyed as I have paid just under $600 for the petrol pump due to it sitting for so long with the last owner. Now I may have to spend up to that amount again. $150 for airbags each on trademe, Im hoping I dont have to get, $60-80 for ford fella to diagnose the problem before even fixing it, and then what ever it costs to fix it. Im really hoping I dont have to buy airbags.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 12:21pm
So please dont make fun of me asking for help with finding out faults in the cars I have, I dont have my father to help me anymore as he is tetraplegic and cant help with the cars, and my father in law passed away where he used to do my cars.So please dont do that to me.I have not been nasty to yous on here at all.Just a Mother of four that needs some assistance I dont like to ask my dad as it frustrates him enough that he cant actually do the work on cars anymore.And sees me struggle with trying my dam hardest to fix things myself if I can I will.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 12:34pm
I dont know much about testing tools etc. that you talk about biker69, but I will at some point try to do what I can do.I do appreciate your help and anyone elses in here. Yes Im a female and can probably annoy yous at times with silly basic as questions that are nothing to yous but Please be patient with me.

skin1235, Feb 10, 7:45pm
as far as I know the 95 was a chain driven motor, seems strange that you've had many comments about cambelt having been changed etc, I did own an early EF for a short while but cannot be certain, someone here could confirm ( bikers question indicates he also thinks it is an internal chain driven cam too) ie does not have a cambelt
and try not to be too fragile, no-one here will give you stick, they may ask for more info or particular details to help them help you, we don't all use the same words for things but before we can offer help we have to know what it is we are dealing with - in our terms

farnortherner, Feb 10, 8:09pm
when the last owner told me cambelt was changed 40,000kms ago, I didnt even know it didnt have one, Still not sure they do or not, Wish someone had of told me in the thread 6 months ago I could have told him why was he prettying the sale up. Yes I get abit discouraged I sometimes dont know what things are, hence why I come in here.Not from CHCH for a start so dont know anyone else to help. Thats all, well if the fella could get his mate to give a shotty wof, Im very doubtful any of the work he said was done. Will get myself a repair manual for it soon.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 8:22pm
I know there are alot of on too it people in this motoring thread including biker69 and alot of others, your help is very helpful to me to know what I can expect.Will get the repair manual so I can rule out any problems that it could be, when I do get stuck will come in here.Usually do that but havent got one for this EFII falcon.Many thanks for everyones advices.

therafter1, Feb 11, 6:35am
Hard luck stories aside, why was the vehicle off the road for 6 months ! ??

johnf_456, Feb 11, 6:42am
6 months is nothing

therafter1, Feb 11, 7:07am
So you know the details in relation to this particular car then do you !

I do concede that it is partially my fault and maybe I should have included the OP??

johnf_456, Feb 11, 7:11am
Doesn't matter I'm going on what I see and 6 months is nothing for not been used IMHO

therafter1, Feb 11, 7:17am
And I??

johnf_456, Feb 11, 7:25am
It could be any reason, gone over seas, owned by a sick relative,owned by someone who is behind bars. You're just negative, one of my cars here has been sitting for 6 months, I just can't be bothered driving it / busy doing other stuff. Hardly used due to the owner getting a new car seems a valid enough reason why they wouldn't use it.

therafter1, Feb 11, 7:28am
I give up again Rufus as I have better things to do than reply to your half witted posts ! ??

johnf_456, Feb 11, 7:30am
If you learned to read I was providing an example, read the first sentence. You will get far in life been negative, people buy new cars and keep there old ones all the time. Especially since car dealers will not give you much. Crikey how long do you thing some car sit on a car yard for, better not buy a car from a dealer you would have no idea how long its been sitting lol.

therafter1, Feb 11, 7:44am
And if you learn to read you will see that I have already clarified that my queries were directed at the OP, not at a continual half witted dialogue with you and your potentially limited experiences !

I will also point out that I mentioned hard luck stories. The lady is obviously not particularly flush and there are shysters around every corner looking for someone to rip off and many of them DO NOT care who they rip off. If trying to steer someone into looking a little harder to attempt to ensure that they are not being ripped by a shyster is negative, then I must be negative ??

johnf_456, Feb 11, 7:50am
Shows the owner cares about it, hence hes put off getting rid of it quickly. I say its genuine reading between the lines, put I'm sure the OP knows to be wise and getting it checked out etc. But people coming in saying it will be heap, I just get the vibe between the lines its ok. There is much better signs if it was heap.

farnortherner, Aug 12, 1:16am
Im buying a car that has gone thru a wof today! it has been on registration exempt for 6 months, with the oil having been sitting and car hardly used for 6 months as seller brought new car, should I be changing the oil and filter!

andrea_w, Aug 12, 1:25am
More importantly, when was the oil/filter last changed!

farnortherner, Aug 12, 1:27am
New Cambelt 40,000ks ago, New Disc Brakes 10,000 ks ago and Transmission serviced 10,000 ks ago and I forgot to ask if oil and filter done, its just got 4 new tyres as well that the seller got yesterday and taking it for warrant now.

farnortherner, Aug 12, 1:27am
Ford Falcon 1995 Stationwagon

andrea_w, Aug 12, 1:29am
What sorta car is it!

farnortherner, Aug 12, 1:29am
Ford Falcon Stationwagon 1995

andrea_w, Aug 12, 1:30am
If the oil/filter was done 10,000 ago with the other parts, it could probably do with some clean stuff in there now anyway. Its not expensive to do and for peace of mind its a good thing to do!