Crack in engine oil sump

Page 1 / 2
jjc09, Dec 22, 7:43am
Question: Can a oil sump be welded in place with oil in it and what precaustions have to be taken to ensure the oil doesn't catch fire

phillip.weston, Dec 22, 7:46am
I would just pull the sump off. is it steel or alloy!

bjdw, Dec 22, 7:48am
or use Steel Knead-It.

jjc09, Dec 22, 7:48am
Steel LD28 have to pull motor out to do itand have to go up to aucks on saturday

bjdw, Dec 22, 7:51am
Made by Selleys, available at Automotive and Hardware stores everywhere.
(No, I don't work for Selleys):-)

jjc09, Dec 22, 7:52am
lol how long will it hold for though

alan1111, Dec 22, 7:56am
Drain the oil keep a fire extinguisher close and mig weld it. Good luck.

jjc09, Dec 22, 7:58am
sounds like a plan thank you

h.e, Dec 22, 8:00am
migs dont like contaminates such as oil,unless its clean it will leak like a sieve

jjc09, Dec 22, 8:03am
oh bugga back to square one what about gas

bjdw, Dec 22, 8:16am
hopefully long enough to get you through the holidays and until you can get it fixed properly.

bjdw, Dec 22, 8:17am
And if your using heat, how close is the crack to the rubber gasket!

jjc09, Dec 22, 8:22am
Gasket is as far away as it can be good 20 cm at lest

h.e, Dec 22, 8:24am
if your dead set on welding it,arc weld it,2.5 mm electrode short 1 or 2 second bursts chip the slag between runs,good luck,personally i would take it off or use the kneed it

h.e, Dec 22, 8:32am
ignore my last post,unless you can arc weld you will end up with a hole and a bigger problem

jjc09, Dec 22, 8:40am
I can i just got no rods

rlr29, Dec 22, 9:21am
Fill the crankcase with nitrogen or CO2.

jjc09, Dec 22, 9:23am
I like your thinking How much do you think that would cost

a18a, Dec 22, 9:41am
+1 for the sellys knead-it. I put the same stuff over some big holes in my gearbox about 10 months ago, still holding up all good & no oil is leaking

singing1, Dec 22, 12:29pm
Just mig weld it. It wont catch fire. I have done it myself on the same motor in a Nissan van.

jason18, Dec 22, 6:38pm
Go the knead it for now and then do it properly or buy a second hand sump and fix it when you have time.

intrade, Dec 22, 6:53pm
if you do weld it make sure you undo the battery and you weld the earth on the sump also so you dont weld accross bearings or you can throw the whole engine away before the holliday. oil has to be drained in any case for fixing thats for sure and asclean as pissibile dont use engine degreaser however as that brakes down oil to silide particle and thats not what you want the oil pickup to be feeding after.

carmedic, Dec 22, 7:23pm
The work crack makes me think we want a tig!

joanie32, Dec 23, 2:40am
Braise it up. Done a few years back

jrlaw, Dec 23, 3:16am
Welded a number of sump plug surrounds in the past, oil out, filler lid off. and away you go, watch out hot drops pf hot oil. But then again I am old guy mehanic.