Changing nissan pulsar engine

ice13, Dec 22, 8:30am
Hi everyone got a 98 pulsar with a stuffed n15 engine anyone no of a rough idea of how much it would cost to put a new engine in, just a ballpark figure would be fine, thanks

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 8:32am
N15 is the chassis number. It depends on the cost of the engine, but allow at least $1000 (including labour).

ginga4lyfe, Dec 22, 8:32am
n15 is the chassis number. they had sr16's in a few variants, and a few other engines, with out knowing what engine specificly. it would be a guestimate at best

ginga4lyfe, Dec 22, 8:33am
oh snap lol

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 8:33am
Must.type.faster, lol.

ice13, Dec 22, 8:37am
GA15DE engine sound right!

ginga4lyfe, Dec 22, 8:40am
those are cheap as chips ( well not really that cheap, but quite cheap ) and are readily available, and yeah that sounds right, just be sure to buy the same year as the engine has been in production for a long long time

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 8:41am
Yeah, that's the bugger. Very common and durable engines. Like I said, it all depends on the price of the engine. It will take around 8 to 10 hours to do the job and hopefully everything is a perfect match when it comes to wiring and manifolds etc.

ice13, Dec 22, 8:42am
Great thanks guys Merry Xmas

ginga4lyfe, Dec 22, 8:43am
8 to 10 hours!sheesh it took a similar time to pull the engine and box out of a Pulsar GTiR with just one other person helping me, and no air tools either, id say a max of 4 hours with a full service!

franc123, Dec 22, 8:49am
Yeah you can get it all out in that time no problem, we are talking removing engine and trans, separating them, , checking and changing over clutch and flywheel if its manual, perhaps whacking in a new rear main seal if needed, fitting up trans again, refitting, adding new fluids and running/checking/roadtesting, AND allowing for any problems that might arise with bits that aren't quite the same.I would certainly allow a full day at least to do that.

jjc09, Dec 22, 8:52am
SR16 thats a new one never heard of one of them

morrisman1, Dec 22, 8:57am
SR16VE came in the VZR pulsar.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 22, 9:04am
ahh i see, i guess as a backyard mechanic like me i just do things differently, and i wouldnt have thought of the rear main seal til someone mentioned it, but i still feel that 8 hours is a bit steep

mm12345, Dec 22, 9:09am
x1
You can lift the engine out of these separate from the gearbox, saves some time. You still must remove the drivers side axle, as the axle goes through the spacer plate between engine and trans.Prop the trans up well - or the fluid will drain out.
Absolutely definitely do replace the rear main seal. Don't even think about not doing it.
I'm guessing I took about 8 hours from start to finish doing a '97 pulsar with GA15DE, working alone, and needing to figure things out as I went along.There's at least an hour and a half each way for any person, just doing hoses, belts, etc, so people who say they can do the whole thing in 4 hours. well.
Cost was $300&GST for a used engine, & fluids.

jjc09, Dec 22, 9:22am
Well blow me down it is tru what they say you do learn new things every other day