Diesel motor seizure

bigracket, Feb 12, 11:40am
Hi all, I had rebuilt a isuzu 26 HP stationary engine, fully marinized it and put it in a little launch. I on sold the boat some years ago and the new owner never used the boat. The problem is I found it tonight with fresh water in it up to the sump, and not able to turn it over by starter or by hand was turning over fine a month ago. When I did the motor I put new rings, pistons, bearings in, machined the crank and bores. Anyone think its worth trying to salvage!

bigracket, Feb 12, 11:41am
oil black no obvious water in sump.

budgel, Feb 12, 8:26pm
I reckon it is probably worth a bit of time to find out if the siezure is terminal or something relatively minor.

mrfxit, Feb 12, 9:44pm
Definitely worth a strip & check.
The fact it was turning over a few months ago would suggest simple condensation rust has jammed it

rob_man, Feb 12, 9:51pm
Maybe some CRC down the injector holes would help.

mechnificent, Feb 12, 10:56pm
I have got diesel motors out of salt water, totally sunk boats that have been full of water for days, and got them going by draining the sump and emptying the cylinders then firing them up and doing a couple of oil changes.
Diesels that have been going for a few years have such a build up of carbon and oil that they are pretty damn water/rust proof. even in the cylinders.

I'd just pull the injectors or the glowplugs and crank it or turn it by hand and see what happens. If you can get it to turn then put a bit of oil down the bores and turn it over a few times, then crank it with the key, then put it together and try to start it.

bigracket, Apr 11, 8:03am
Awesome advice, thats what ill do. The thing is I am thinking of buying the boat back for a grand and just want to make sure I not making a rod for my own back. It was a really good motor and box, and considering it comes with everything, savage heat exchanger, half shaft, prop and shaft exhaust ect.