Subaru. Hey threr anyone know what a whining sound is when i let of the gas is sounds like when changing down gears n engine bra

forrest39, Dec 27, 8:53pm
hey threr anyone know what a whining sound is when i let of the gas is!
sounds like when changing down gears n engine brake but three times as lound n high pitch. typically happens when changing down gears or when letting foot of the gas.
94 ts type r legacy
ej20 non turbo
start looking at dif! or gearbox!

hijacka, Dec 27, 8:58pm
Could be worn out gearbox bearings!.how many kms has it done! you could inspected the gbox oil for metal flake if you drop it out.

forrest39, Dec 27, 9:02pm
thought that, yet would the gears be changing as smooth as they are,
all seems to change and work sweet as just this hideous noise on the engine brake. acceleration sonds fine

tmenz, Dec 27, 9:25pm
Manifold leak!

hijacka, Dec 27, 9:41pm
How many kms was that again! From the center diff back the bearings are very prone to wear,especially the center diff bearing, Both acceleration and De-acceleration puts a different load on the bearings so one side of the bearing will be worn/pitted and the other side not so much. They shouldn't effect gear changes as these bearings are in a separate casing and its only the finest metal flakes make it through to the split housing(were the gearset/lathe shaft/ are). In theory what has more than likely happened over time is the wear from other bearings and gears in the rear casing has made its way to the center diff bearing, (this is the lowest point were oil passes through to the split casing) because the car is usually accelerating, that puts load to one side of the bearing and leaves a small gap on the other side leaving enough space for the metal flake to seat. Then when the load changes on the bearing the balls run over the metal flake buildup seating inside the bearing making the bearing pitted and no longer smooth and there for noisy

forrest39, Dec 28, 1:03am
nah definatly not motor just been put in and checked over

forrest39, Dec 28, 1:06am
sweet as thanks for that, will be looking for all that asap. given me a great place to start thanks,,,, high ks on the body.low ks on the motor .thanks

forrest39, Dec 28, 2:24am
just drove it again today and ca feel the grinding n whining through the gearstick. is this consistant with above

forrest39, Dec 28, 2:48am
and what years/ models can the drive train be taken from to change over if needed
ie can box dif parts be taken from the ej20 gt

hijacka, Dec 28, 3:14am
Could be, its very hard without hearing it live. anything over the net is a guess. but the gearstick is around the same spot wear the center diff is. if you remove the rubber boot and gear nob and use a mechanic stethoscope you will be able to pinpoint the noise better. the gearbox will need to be removed in order to fix the problem, non turbo gearboxes are weaker than the turbos, you can mix and match parts but there are so many variants and i haven't got all day to list what fits what and how to etc., Best thing i can recommend is either keep driving it and turn the stereo up or replace the old bearings with new ones. money would be better spent replacing the bearings with new ones rather than buying a random worn secondhand box.

forrest39, Dec 28, 3:31am
yeah well that was my next option. rather than mess around with problem etc easier to just replace but money better spent ya reckon. might be right.thanks