Tyre advice please

sven007, Feb 14, 8:55am
Hi all,

I was going to buy Toyo T1R tyres 215/35/18 for my Subaru WRX STi GC8 Wagon mainly for performance plus quality in the wet as would be good for winter when travelling up the mountain for snowboarding.

The Issue: Toyo cannot supply the tyres until late March due to backorder, and I have tried many Tyre shops but no one has stock and all can only order from Toyo.

THE QUESTION/HELP: Does anyone have any similar recommendations in comparison with the T1R! At the moment I might go with the Proxes 4 but have not checked if they have that in stock. I heard Direzza's are good quality, but would like the rest of the nation's advice

Cheers
Sven

carkitter, Feb 14, 9:43am
I'd go for an asymmetrical tire especially if you're driving up a twisty mountain. For snow I'd get some chains rather than compromise on tread pattern.

sven007, Feb 14, 9:45am
Heading up Mt Ruapehu most of the time and generally roads are free of snow. I would be heading up the Mount maybe once a week or fortnight. Generally more motorway driving and around urban areas.

20498, Feb 14, 9:48am

sven007, Feb 14, 10:12am
Very nice tyre however it clearly states in the description not intended for near freezing temperatures! Bugger

sven007, Feb 14, 11:06am
Those are very tempting, have noticed before on Trademe. Will do some research tomorrow!

vtecintegra, Feb 14, 10:00pm
The basic Direzzas seem to be less grippy than the Toyos but they do wear quite a lot better.

sven007, Apr 20, 3:54pm
I ended up getting the Falken FK 452 Tyres, exactly what I need.