Government to get new BMW's

Page 2 / 2
sharchew, Feb 16, 1:40am
Ask Phill Goff what he plans doing with them

sharchew, Feb 16, 1:42am
They will be very cheap to run they will be converted to run on Hot Air out of Parliment

elect70, Feb 16, 1:53am
Put them all in Fiat multiplas or Ladas . Bet those 750 IL s dont come onto open marketBMWNZ will have a deal figured out .

woody1946, Feb 16, 2:35am
Can't see why they need 34 of these, they could get away with 3 or 4. One for John Key , One for Bill English. One for Phil Goff and one for Hone Harawira

antz91, Feb 16, 3:49am
Are you calling him a mother 'whaka'!

scotty20001, Feb 16, 5:05am
Holden WM Caprice, come on your the govt ffs be patriotic!

wrong2, Feb 16, 5:20am
right across the country , public servants that get cars included with their job are driving near new ones

the government spends millions on upgrading cars that still have a trouble free 5 years left in them

there isnt a message board in the entire internet that has enough space to contain descriptions of all the waste that politicians & public servants use & create

wrong2, Feb 16, 5:23am
the worst type of person to hold power is those that are attracted to it

theres no "democracy" anywhere on the planet. people are inherantly selfish & shortsighted & dont give a stuff about the next generation. & its getting worse with every successive generation since ww2

the ME generation is getting the government it deserves

audi_s_ate, Feb 16, 5:54am
Our very own PM donates his full salary to charity. This speaks volumes about the guy.
The fact we are discussing a minimal spend on updating government cars is not productive at all. It's the amount the government spends on supporting around 100 beneficiaries per year.
Chump change in the grand scheme of things.

lookoutas, Feb 16, 6:20am
Shhhh - don't tell TM. They'll ban the Gov for not giving them a cut.

utwo, Feb 16, 9:04am
When they bought these BMWs three years ago the figure of $90k was mentioned somewhere in the media. Forget the $200k retail price.

richms, Feb 16, 10:03am
3 years is the norm to upgrade a car. Some would like the heads of state to turn up to things in an old car tho. Great for image. Its like because they are tight they expect everyone to be equally tight.

illusion_, Feb 16, 10:09am
costing less to replace them with new ones (think "HUGE DISCOUNT") than what they can flog the old ones off for. theyd have to be nuts not to get the new ones

franc123, Feb 16, 10:21am
How long was the factory warranty on these vehicles!That might be a factor in the decision to ditch them so early lol.But on a more serious note I don't think historically that ministerial cars are in the fleet for more than a couple of years, maybe 4 at the outside depending on the kms.The old LTD's didn't hang around forever.No different to private company cars really.

carkitter, Feb 16, 10:40am
I drove a late model BMW 750Li just yesterday and it is an amazing car I can tell you. It is clearly a car designed not for driving but to be driven in, as the amount of room in the back is equal to the size of a small country. If I was a government minister and needed a well appointed 'office on wheels' a LWB BMW 7 series would be my first choice.
We must remember, they don't just ride around in these cars, they actually work from them: read reports, have discussions, email and rest between important engagements. Otherwise, taxis would suffice.

ct9a, Feb 16, 7:59pm
good choice of car!

afer_daily, Feb 16, 9:53pm
if they want something with a bit of menace they should go for the chrysler 300 s can you picture one of those coming up behind you as a police car !

tuttyclan, Apr 26, 3:56pm
http://www.oldcars.com/car1963.html
The Government would be better off buying classic cars,at least they will go up in value!