What torque setting should you use for wheel nuts!

Page 1 / 2
brettley, Feb 16, 4:02am
Thanks in advance.

socram, Feb 16, 4:06am
Mini or Tank!
Google your make of car if you can't find a driver's manual.
Original Mini on 10" wheels is 43lbs.No idea on larger cars, but as a rough guide, the larger the wheelnut and the heavier the car, the more it will probably be.

tmenz, Feb 16, 4:18am
All my Japanese vehicles are around 80 ft.lbs = 108 Nm

jasongroves, Feb 16, 4:22am
What vehicle!

socram, Feb 16, 4:28am

74nova, Feb 16, 5:49am
I laugh every time I see a 'Tyre technician' put on a wheel and tighten up the nuts with a rattle gun and THEN check them with a torque wrench and EVERY TIME it clicks with out moving the nut any more. I bet if they set the torque wrench to 150lbs they MIGHT get it to move before it clicks.Dumb arse's.

brettley, Feb 16, 6:00am
Liteweight caravan, 2 ton on 14 inch wheels.

smac, Feb 16, 6:09am
Stay the hell away from my car.

sr2, Feb 16, 6:20am
Very few standard cars require 90 ft/lbs (GT3 Porsche would be one of the few I know of). As a rule of thumb 60 to 70 ft/lbs is more than adequate. After many years spent first in the automotive industry followed by almost two decades building and running race cars I can vouch for the fact that the vast majority of wheel stud problems are caused by over-tightening as opposed to wheel nuts being too loose.

socram, Feb 16, 8:36am
Steel or alloy!Alloy generally need retorquing a short time after fitting for the first time.

#9 - Exactly!There is no way I'd want my wife to even attempt to change a wheel these days and that is also because the full size wheel and tyre on the current vehicle and its location, is not exactly lightweight female friendly.

mr40cal, Feb 16, 8:48am
x1
agree entirely
12mm stud (most common) around 75/80 ft pound
1/2 inch stud around 80/85 ft pound
what diameter are your studs brettley!

turfmech, Feb 16, 9:04am
Do them up till they break and back them off half a turn

scoobeey, Feb 16, 9:24am
do up as hard as you can jump on a pipe

40wav, Feb 16, 9:30am
I do mine up till they 'feel right'. I've never had a problem with over tight or too loose. I'll rattle them off, but not back on.

motorway, Feb 16, 9:36am
When I can't swipe an Amex card through the cheeks of my arse, I know i'm there.

socram, Feb 16, 9:41am
#18 Nooooo!As I said earlier, 43lbs for an old Mini. A jockey jumping on a standard wheel brace is too much.David Tua jumping on a pipe on his Minis' wheel nuts will either stretch, strip or snap the studs.

I never overtighten them and only ever use a standard wheel brace with hand pressure only (I don't take a torque wrench to the track) and have been driving track cars for 40 years with zero problems with wheel studs.Early MInis broke the wheel studs or the wheels when racing, partially because they were over tightened but also because no one ever thought an economy car would be raced that hard and the wheels just weren't strong enough!

The cornering forces on a caravan shouldn't be as high as any donor car on 14" steel wheels.

Read #12's post - if you haven't already.

rsr72, Feb 16, 10:35am
90LB/FT suitable for most Porsches.

scoobeey, Feb 16, 11:14am
socram wrote:
#18 Nooooo!As I said earlier, 43lbs for an old Mini. A jockey jumping on a standard wheel brace is too much.David Tua jumping on a pipe on his Minis' wheel nuts will either stretch, strip or snap the studs.

I never overtighten them and only ever use a standard wheel brace with hand pressure only (I don't take a torque wrench to the track) and have been driving track cars for 40 years with zero problems with wheel studs.Early MInis broke the wheel studs or the wheels when racing, partially because they were over tightened but also because no one ever thought an economy car would be raced that hard and the wheels just weren't strong enough!

The cornering forces on a caravan shouldn't be as high as any donor car on 14" steel wheels.

Read #12's post - if you haven't already.[/quote

you cant see a joke when starin in face

rkauto, Feb 16, 7:56pm
x1
you can not take it for granted that one size fits all these days.We check autodata for correct torque before we refit any wheels to avoid hassles with wheels to tight or loose.eg
VE 125lbs
VZ 92lbs
FG falcon 100lbs
ford Ranger 76lbs

johnf_456, Feb 16, 11:21pm
I should find a scooter and do them up at a high torque rating. Apparently its one for all.

Sarcasm.

franc123, Feb 16, 11:28pm
What a funny thread.If all of you took the time to stop insulting each other, took notice of the OP's information, knew what you were talking about, knew about Liteweight caravans and applied common sense you would know that it uses Trojan hubs with 7/16" studs, a torque of 70 lbs would be more than adequate.Question answered.

brettley, Feb 17, 7:59am
Thankyou very much for a clear consice answer, cheers

jasongroves, Feb 17, 8:05am
LOL^^^

johnf_456, Feb 17, 8:21am
We need to have fun somehow

sr2, Feb 17, 8:27am
And they still use bolts!