4 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
5 Renault Espace
6 Jeep Grand Cherokee
7 Mercedes-Benz V-Class
8 Nissan Pathfinder
9 Land Rover Freelander
10 BMW 7 Series

trdbzr, Jan 2, 2:21am
I wonder why the manufacturer's Jazz seems to rave on about are missing from the top 10 list, and the ones he bags a lot are on the top 10 list. Considering he says his beloved manufacturers make extremely reliable cars.

jmma, Jan 2, 2:25am
They are not on the unreliable list either (o:

trdbzr, Jan 2, 2:28am
Yes that is pretty obvious. The point was, they are not on the top 10 list.

moosie_21, Jan 2, 2:30am
And, as I have put on other threads, this is not a once-in-a-year trend. The list goes on like this for many, many years. Just google it.

rovercitroen, Jan 2, 2:39am
It stands to reason that the simplest, lowest spec cars will be most reliable as there is less fancy electronic features to go wrong.

trdbzr, Jan 2, 2:50am
Oh yes, even the S40 is an extremely basic, featureless car. Im suprised its not run 'flinstones' style.

socram, Jan 2, 3:13am
All depends who collects the figures - and why.Have you noticed that Rolls Royce and Lexus never appear in the stats, nor any low volume cars.Mainly because the figures don't go on the percentages of failures and are usually based on warranty firms who don't deal with all cars.Equally, if you are a satisfied Rolls owner, you are not going to faff about with surveys of any sort, whether via the internet, magazine, warranty or lease company.
Modern Jags appear to be super reliable so why are they not in the list!

rover79, Jan 2, 3:25am
Maybe there have to be 10 or more in the country to get considered.

trdbzr, Jan 2, 3:33am
This list is from reliability-index. Yes Rolls Royce never appears, but Lexus! You don't read much do you! Lexus has nearly always featured in reliability surveys and lists. Generally most survey results seem to have similar results, whether they interview owners or warranty companies. Besides if you have a spare half a million or so lying around to spend on a car, then im sure you are likely to have many more cars, rather than using the Rolls as a daily driver, and if something did ever go wrong, im sure there would be a very fast response from a dealer. I actually remember reading on this forum a few years back about how someone's friend's Rolls broke down on the side of the motorway and the first thing the dealer did was to dispatch someone to put a big tent around the car covering it, so people would not see a broken down Rolls Royce.

And newer Jags are not super reliable. Read as many survey results as you like, it will show you that Jags are not reliable.

wasser61, Jan 2, 3:49am
And most reliable Manufacturers.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

And note that Lexus comes in at No. 13 below Peugeot.

geedubu, Jan 2, 3:54am
IMHO all this gum-bashing about what is reliable & what is most reliable is a waste of bandwidth.Compared to cars of earlier eras, everything produced nowadays is pretty reliable if you look after it sensibly.Even the thread's favourite bad car, the Cavalier, is a fairly reliable if rather crude piece of kit.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 2, 3:54am
The top 10 is not really a useful guide for any practical purpose. Any car under the 100 mark is generally going to be fine.

There is no great advantage to having the last tiny bit of reliability, as in the real world it dosn't equate to anything tangible.

That should be fairly easy for anyone to work out.

The reliability index is a great tool, but like any tool you have to know how to use it.

trdbzr, Jan 2, 4:02am
This coming from the same person who said a Passat is far more reliable than an Avensis because a particular model Passat was rated as 70 and a particular model Avensis as 73.

trdbzr, Jan 2, 4:05am
In your case, you only used it whenever you needed it to substantiate your bias, and since 99% of the time it used to backfire on you, you stopped using it as a backup for your drivel.

socram, Jan 2, 6:49am
That is not my understanding at all.I did say modern Jags, not the ones thrown together by stroppy unionists last century.

r15, Jan 2, 7:30pm
So from this the top 5 aren't common in nz, leaving us with the good old corolla as a good choice

wasser61, Jan 3, 1:29am
Ford Fiesta not common.!

marte, Jan 3, 6:21am
They forgot the 'Cortina'.

I owned 4 of them, 6 if you count parts.

doug207, Jan 3, 8:09am

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 9:13am
When the time comes, looks like I'll be upgrading our family car to another Honda.

franc123, Jan 3, 9:38am
Another predictable result and pretty much in line with others I've seen.It must be getting embarrassing for the oldest car company in the world that had a formidable reputation for build quality and attention to detail for decades to be repeatedly outflanked by a Korean outfit who started out in the motor business a mere 35 or so years ago assembling cheap knockoffs of Mitsi Colts and Ford Cortinas in a jungle clearing.MB's amazing fall from grace over the last 20 years continues, the day must come when their customers start to question why they pay such high prices for what they are getting,And the top place getters are their flagship product!