Red Square button on ford falcon stationwagon!

Page 2 / 3
fordgod, Feb 10, 4:44am
x1
When you start the car, does the airbag light flash a few times then stays on! Most of them have a code that flashes.

fordcrzy, Feb 10, 4:47am
heres a few sites you should look at about airbags and resetting the light.a dodgy battery can cause a bag light to come up too.just make sure your reverse lights actually work.

http://www.fordmods.com/documents.php!d=3 http://www.fordforums.com/f538/reset-airbag-light-115504/ http://www.fixya.com/support/t1537725-air_bag_lite_wats_common_problem_95_ford
http://www.fastlane.com.au/forums/topic.asp!ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12963

fordcrzy, Feb 10, 4:54am
from what it sounds the airbag fuse has blown which is a very comon problem on the el/ef falcon. the fuse should be replaced with a 15 amp fuse instead of a 10 amp one.
to reset the airbag light do this:

to reset the airbag warning light turn the ignition to the on position. If you remove the cover for the fuse box you will see a diagnostic white plug with two rows of pins, you need to bridge the fourth pin in the top row from the left and the bottom left pin. you should hear some beeps. ignition off and try it. you might need to do it twice. but if it still reapears get it checked out. this only resets the airbag system. if there is a fault then it will code you. its mentioned earlier in this thread how to read the codes.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 4:55am
when you turn key "Air bag" comes on in red and stays on while your driving, doesnt flash or anything just stays on, fella who sold it to me put a black cardboard to cover the elluminating word airbag

fordcrzy, Feb 10, 5:00am
start the car and let it idle for a minute or so and see if it flashes.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 5:05am
Checking all these out now, thanks very much.

farnortherner, Feb 10, 5:11am
Light stays on after idling a few minutes, just checked.

taipan4, Feb 10, 5:18am
Yup 20cent fuse so much for FORD dealerships

falcon15, Feb 10, 6:06am
You cant just take the bulb out. To pass a wof the light needs to come on when you turn the ignition on and go off after you start the car

farnortherner, Feb 10, 8:59am
Yeah figured that after reading all the diagnostic faults, didnt know what the dam thing was supposed to be like anyway as never had it normal it was like this with a new warrant given then some bush mechanic down the road suggested that, dumb me should just listen to my own intuition.

mopar63, Feb 10, 9:14am
does the light come on as soon as you start it or does it start slowly glowing after you start it,! which is what mine did,after replacing the fuseI earthed the diagnostic plug 4th from the top left to reset/clear the computer (from memory) that was a couple of years ago, there's plenty of info on the forums,

farnortherner, Feb 10, 12:44pm
sorry mopar63, I will just leave it to the mechanics instead of me trying things, got abit put off about another thread I started 6 months ago about this car when I first got it.Seems Im not in the right place here to be asking if I dont know what things are like testers for cars etc, so instead of me being ridiculed I will just leave it to the experts, and buy a repair manual instead of asking people here. My apologies all.

solarboy, Feb 10, 1:15pm
Hey don't get discouraged, you're obviously keen to get it sorted and the guys are happy to help. No ridiculing in this thread. I have a '70s Falcon manual but I doubt they had airbags, lol. I'd say your rear wiper will need to be working for a WOF though - if there;s none fitted,fine, but if it's there it has to work for the WOF.

skin1235, Feb 10, 7:52pm
I saw your other thread first, and posted there
this is about the 95 ef wagon
can someone confirm they are in fact a cambelt engine, it is my impression they are chain drive, I know somewhere around then they changed to coil packs away from dizzy but then went back to dizzy again, basically the XR6 engine

johnf_456, Feb 10, 8:08pm
Rear wiper would not be an issue for a wof, heck most cars don't have them / removed on a lot.

farnortherner, Feb 11, 12:08am
ok thanks papariccardo

fordcrzy, Feb 11, 8:04am
in those forum links i posted i think a couple have a "garage " section which explains how to do the basic maintenance on the falcs.i'll see if i can dig it up for you.

heres one:
( i have no idea how reliable this download site is please scan any downloads for viruses etc as usual.)

http://www.filestube.com/e/el+falcon+workshop+manual

fordcrzy, Feb 11, 8:24am
sign up here and have a look around. maybe you'll find someone more expert than us experts.:)

http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/forums/html/forumdisplay.php!f=30

farnortherner, Feb 12, 1:22pm
Thank you very much fordcrazy for your help, the first website you have posted here on the quoted thread is very helpful, The fault could likely be with illuminating of lamp showing airbag with constant lamp on is either one of these:Fault code timed out, Diagnostic monitor Not connected or Inoperative, or no ignition voltage to Diagnostic monitor.Or where it says Continuous flash with no code, Both crash sensors disconnected. But as to there not being a fuse for the airbag present.So after reading all what was on that website to do with airbags. Its off to the ford shop to find out the diagnostics sometime soon.

andy61, Feb 12, 9:10pm
Why do you have to take it to a Ford shop,any auto sparky workshop with a good diagnostic machine can diagnose(sp) the problem,some sparkys will even what know the problem is straight away without the diagnostic machine as they do so many of them.

fordcrzy, Feb 12, 11:54pm
if you want to clear the code without a machine you can turn your ignition on and off with the key 256 times.this is no joke. although i'm not sure how much damage you'd do to your key and coil packs.

farnortherner, Feb 19, 4:07am
But if they have faults on them the light wont go off when its supposed too, so they still have to erase the fault codes dont they! And to find those they would have to do a diagnostic by plugging into the switch thing by the fuses!

farnortherner, Feb 19, 4:08am
Could be the sensors or not plugged up, for any servicing of the ford airbags dont they have to be done by ford dealers! Sorry I wouldnt know as Ive never had airbags on any of my cars except this one.

fordcrzy, Feb 19, 7:26am
any DECENT auto sparky will have the diagnostics tool for the ford airbags.

farnortherner, Feb 19, 8:30am
ok thanks very much will just get quotes from an auto sparky, do they also service the airbags as well! Put in the airbags in case theres none in it!