Mini advice

Page 1 / 2
paysanne, Jan 5, 8:54am
Any hints or advice on buying/owning a mini clubman. Late seventies. .!

morrisman1, Jan 5, 8:59am
1. get someone who knows minis properly to check it out for you.

2. Remember they are older cars and most will be enthusiast cars, meaning you cant just drive and neglect like a modern car and you should expect to be fixing little things often enough

tel4, Jan 5, 9:01am
RUST.Other than that they will go forever

jrlaw, Jan 5, 9:06am
I have a 1973 Mini 850 that I am thinking of selling, if you are interested I will consider putting up for auction.

morrisman1, Jan 5, 9:11am
Rust, ball joints, water pumps, alternators, brakes, wheel bearings, gearboxes, clutches, engines among hundreds of other parts which are capable of failing.

It is poor advice just to say 'it will go forever' because realistically that is just an idealistic viewpoint and they have the same failings of other vehicles.

paysanne, Jan 5, 9:12am
Have my eyes on a particular one on here, but always keen. Looking for good mechanics and body. Interior is not important. Daily comuter, 100k per week max.

paysanne, Jan 5, 9:14am
Auction number 437291177

franc123, Jan 5, 9:26am
Remember they are a very old design, they are fun to own and drive but unless you are prepared to DIY all your own maintenance or are prepared to learn how to, they will cost a fair bit to keep running smoothly, getting through WOFS etc.Things like brake adjustment and tuning for example are two tasks that don't need attention for ages on modern cars, not so on old Mini's.If you are used to something late model driving a Mini can be quite a shock, you should go and drive a couple first before committing to buy one, when you do find one you must get it checked over thoroughly by someone who knows them well to get the best possible picture of what you are buying, as mentioned above, also in the case of that car get them to read through all the receipts for that motor work.

paysanne, Jan 5, 9:33am
I would hope to have someone look at it, any suggestions in Christchurch as I know very few people here. I have owned older cars previously and with a basic knowledge and maintenance guide I can find my way round basic brake and engine work. Happy to get my hands dirty but know my limits also.

morrisman1, Jan 5, 9:36am
Perhaps you could contact the mini club and ask if someone would be able to help, either that or see if you could take it to swift automotive and get them to check it out, would probably cost that way but be worth it.

un_known, Jan 5, 9:54am
get one with the rubber cone suspension not the hydrolastic, not sure what year they changed over, but probably around the late seventies.

Also get some semi sealed headlights from the old honda civic, fit straight in and then you can put some higher wattage bulbs in.

god id love a mini.

jmma, Jan 5, 9:58am
Sure older cars are a bit more to maintain, but so much fun, be a bit different from everyone else and you will look forward to driving it every day, Have fun (o:

franc123, Jan 5, 10:00am
Hydro suspension was long gone by the late seventies, it was only used late '64-mid '71.Early Clubmans and the last of the Coopers were the last to use it, on standard Mini's it was dropped by 1970 when the wind up windows and internal door hinges were adopted (Mk3)

richard198, Jan 5, 11:39am
I used to own one years ago. The one you're looking at seems fine. I don't know why someone 's talking about putting mags on it; it has great wheels on it already! Take a mechanic with you, I'm sure the owner will tell you what they think needs doing to it as well as the mechanic. They drive like go-karts but are very unsafe with all the SUV's and nutters around.
(Ask about the wiring work below dash.)

smac, Jan 5, 10:15pm
The one in that listing is an 1100 which is a great engine for a daily drive, better on the hills than a 998 or 850.

Nothing wrong with hydro suspension at all, but as above, you won't find it in a clubman. Getting a GT will give you the better engine and brakes, but you will also pay a premium.

As above, the best advice is simply to recognise that a car that old, ANY kind, will need regular care. Ideally keep it garaged, and simply accept it will need time and the odd dollar here and there.

msigg, Jan 5, 10:28pm
Yea get one with the best body you can afford, they are becoming a collectors item so you will be paying a bit for what it is , it won't drive quite like a modern car' will be a bit slow on big hills, apart from mechanical work should be cheap to run. You need good knee joints to get in and out of them as they are so low, also as mentioned zero safety features so keep away from everything else on the road. good luck.

rob_man, Jan 5, 11:00pm
When buying a Mini, never run with scissors.

elect70, Jan 6, 1:40am
Unless its had a recon of both engine & box & clutch &ball joints , rad ,pump,wouldntuse it as a 100kdaily commuter.

tortron, Jan 6, 1:46am
You have no sense of adventure

(replacing flogged out parts at 1am so you can get to work the next day is as fun as it sounds however)

sprinkle, Jan 6, 3:05am
410109181 would do the trick.If only I had the cash I would get it.

tractor9, Jan 6, 9:48am
Owning an older car for a daily commuter always sounds good, lots of fun etc etc.Modern cars have spoilt us, just get in and drive, but older cars need a bit of regular TLC to keep them reliable. I drive a 40 y o car as daily transport and enjoy it , butI advise you to prepare yourself for the occasional breakdown or glitch as older cars are prone to.

booker16, Jan 6, 9:49am
buy lots of oil and driveway cleaner!

paysanne, Jan 6, 9:50am
100k weekly commuter not daily. Thanks.

johnf_456, Jan 6, 9:55am
Old cars are fine just be prepared to more than just a oil change.

granada, Jan 6, 9:59am
No good in winter, the distributors get wet and they stopon the side ofthe road . You dont want the hassle as a daily drive, but a fun car for the weekend,