Philip.Western or any other Legnum experts please

3s-gte, Jan 6, 1:20am
have a 1997 2.5 v6 ST-R Legnum with 190k on the clock.
was driving along normally around 35-40km/h and bang all of a sudden lost all drive. engine still runs fine but can hear a small wining coming from somewhere. trans was good up untill then no slipping etc.

i am thinking torque converter or something in that area of the drive terrain.
has anyone else experienced this or know what im talking about!

cheers in advance

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 1:49am
it has most likely stripped the splines off the input shaft where the torque converter slides on. Very common problem - ironically tends to happen most on the N/A 4WD V6 models but not so much on the twin turbo VR-4s.

3s-gte, Jan 6, 2:20am
thanks for your info, so my understanding is that spline also runs right through the trans also! so im basically up for a new transmission!

mrfxit, Jan 6, 2:36am
Either way could be up for $500 >>>> $3500 depending on final faults.
If it's purely just the shaft or the torque converter (either) look at the low price range, if they find other faults that really should be done >>>> >>>>

3s-gte, Jan 6, 2:41am
thanks everyone,
ill get it down to the mechanics on monday and let you guys know the results

3s-gte, Jan 16, 6:13am
reconditioned torque converter and back on the road.
thanks philip

male_timaru, Jan 16, 9:31pm
how much was it mate! - would be interesting to know as i am looking at one of these beasts at the moment too

3s-gte, Jan 24, 6:58am
total bill was $1800. that included all oils/seals/filters etc and labour and replacement parts. was reasonable price i thought. this is the only money ive spent on this car in 6+ years except maintenance

phillip.weston, Jan 24, 7:46am
yikes. Though I guess it's not the easiest job in the world to do.

3s-gte, Jan 24, 8:18am
probably has something to do with being 4wd

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 8:23am
Transmissions are easy to pull out on 4WD Legnums. No bolt is hard to get to.