Pukekohe - Classic Racing

socram, Feb 18, 4:49am
this weekend (Feb 19th/20th). Just thought you'd like to know as we get too many posts saying they didn't know what was on.

twink19, Feb 18, 7:59am
see you there

socram, Feb 19, 8:40am
Phew!Day 1 and so warm, many lap times were down a fair bit and oil temp on my car a bit high, (130c, so I might need a larger oil cooler, as HD also seems to warm up the oil.

Interesting that after softening off the front shocks just 1 click for HD, I had to harden them up again just for the 'hill/mountain at Pukekohe.Staggering what a difference just one click makes on that one corner!

socram, Feb 19, 9:50am
Sorry, I meant lap times were slower, not faster! Need that cool damp air.

twink19, Feb 19, 6:58pm
let us know how good it was, ended up at A & E sat morning, so had to stay at home all weekend.

socram, Feb 20, 8:22am
Well Twink, it was a pretty good weekend really.A bit slow getting started as I think that with a meeting on at Hampton Downs at the same, the race officials were under a lot of pressure (more volunteers required guys.)andwere a bit stretched, but I have to say that once underway, they acquitted themselves really well and the meeting probably finished early for a change.

My personal definition of a good race weekend is being able to drive the car onto the trailer at the end.I had a good weekend. and it was dry and hot right through.

Some cracking racing, especially in the handicaps, but the BMW co-ordinator had his head in his hands when both the E30 split grid starts were stuffed up!

Hope you are OK Twink!

twink19, Feb 20, 11:58pm
sounds like you had a good week end. As for the E30 class, I was scrutineer and grid marshal in Taupo they have 2 grid sheets, then start to argue with every one, I gave the the sheet and walked off let them do it them self.
Am walking again, just. could be body starting to reject me thanks.

elect70, Feb 21, 1:08am
Seems a bit foolish to have 2 meets same areasame weekend .Only so manyhelpers to go around , i know HD want to put on as many as pos to make the track pay but !

twink19, Feb 21, 6:32am
the meeting at HD was Auckland Car Club, club race meeting

socram, Feb 21, 6:48am
Its not really foolish, as for several years, we haven't been able to get enough race dates and I think that was the only real clash of the season.You'd really think that the 'boy racers brigade' and I use that term very loosely, would like to at least get trackside to lend a hand!

When I was a teenager, I envied those standing so close to the action.It was only when I first got to be on the organising side, years later, that I found out how desperate all clubs were for race marshals and general helpers.

I hooked into the NSCC within days of first arriving in NZ and was a flaggie until I started racing, organising, series co-ordinating and promoting.

As it is right now, there are several senior officials who really need to have replacements on hand under training.The hardworking Marshals hardly ever get a weekend off, so my plea is to all enthusiasts, put up your hands and volunteer!

Incidentally, the survival rate for this last weekend for both our groups was excellent, with 55 signing on and 51 took part in the final two races.That is why I grizzle about tier 1 so much.

twink19, Feb 21, 7:45am
right socram,tier one total enty list of100 on a good day,all other meetings 200 to 250 entries.I note at Manfield round of Tier 1 they had the muscle cars, when they finished the crowds left

welshdude, Feb 21, 8:07am
When and where is next major classic car racing!

twink19, Feb 21, 9:08am
19th & 20thMarch at Hampton Downs

welshdude, Feb 21, 9:12am
Will there be as many cars as there were at the Chris Amon special!

socram, Feb 21, 9:24am
Last of the season after that (for us and Alfa) is May 7th - which will be part of the Rally NZ weekend at Hampton Downs. Negotiations/discussions currently on the structure of the whole weekend with different (invitation only) race groups of a grunty nature, proposed for the Sunday, plus other entertainment.Wil start a new thread when more is confirmed.

Anyone on here reading this have a (viable!) wish list for three race groups!I'll let you know later what is currently proposed.

welshdude - probably about the same number or slightly more, overall, but with a couple fewer, but larger grids.None of the Amon Grids was over 32, but we had 40 on one of our grids at the September meeting!Chaotic in the handicap of course, but great fun!

Several of the regular single seaters are currently over in Oz.

townie55, Feb 21, 6:13pm
The Sound of Chrome is at HD this weekend on both days, lots of old cars, and a band on Saturday.Lots of car clubs turning up.My whole family is heading there for Saturday.

http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/56/Event%20Calendar#here

socram, Feb 21, 7:52pm
I would have liked to have had my car there Townie, but as I am reaching Gold Card status that day, will have to give it a miss!I hope it is a real success as unlike a race meeting, there is a lot of outlay in advance with no guaranteed income.

The planned music is not my style either, but should be a massive weekend for V8 fans.

elect70, Feb 22, 12:49am
You obviously wernt there , main stand emptied after last V8 racenot the muscle cars . However muchsocram & otherssnipeabout tier 1 it was the saviour of motor sport in NZ as bums on seats declined & TV not interestedso no sponsors

socram, Feb 22, 4:18am
Bums on seats have continued to decline, with or without sponsorship. It is just not an attractive package - apart from the V8s themselves. Too many, too small, one make/two make grids are not my cup of tea.I'll happily watch Muscle Cars as there is at least good variety as well as grunt, but small grids will never get bums on seats.Well, not my bum anyway!

I'd rather save up and head for the Philip Island Classic meeting or even the Southern Festival of Speed.

scarey65, Feb 22, 5:04am
the muslecars were certainly a excellant addition at the manfeild!

psdo manfeild want to hold motor racing anymore seems to me they would rather hold boyscout jambores and dogshows.anything but motoracing

i know when the lesters ran it the track was alive and many inovative events were held .but now.

twink19, Feb 22, 6:43am
I think the local council took it over, could be wrong !

elect70, May 17, 5:07pm
Motorsport Mana hetudo the M sportrest iscouncil / pastoral orgs etc . But still lots ofnew car tests , open days , pastoral events , m cycle racing& full winter series .Busy little place .How many turn up for classic meetsusually about 600 - 1000 if luckydown herehow many at at teir 1thousandsadmittedly its hyped upbutbrings in the sponsoshipwith out which few could afford to raceteir 1 ,I like all forms of msportfroHydro s ,mini sprint ,dragscircuit . Keeps me out the pub on weekends