Isuzu Wizard Glow-plugs

armoured, Jan 13, 3:31am
Just wondering if this is a reasonably simple task or if it's worth taking it in to get fixed. Cheers

intrade, Jan 13, 4:54am
depends on the engine and how easy you can get to them. You have do disconnect the battery and not blow the expensive glowplug fuse while doing the job.

mugenb20b, Jan 13, 4:56am
No, you don't. As long as no one turns the ignition ON, you'll be right.

intrade, Jan 13, 5:04am
yea I dont trust no one ever . and its a good thing when you work like that loads less broken things. Just immagin right. he takes the glowplug out cable hanging everywhere goes for a cuppa. comes back dam spanner dropped thru engine bay cant reach it . right no problem He thinks i just push it back 50cm .jumps in car its automatic wont move because its in P so not thinking turns on ignition to shift to N to move the car pushes the car back and woala got the spanner and a blowen fuse also.

mugenb20b, Jan 13, 5:05am
That's true, and fair enough comment.

armoured, Jan 13, 6:34am
98 model 4J. can't remember the number off hand. I am pretty sure its the getting to them that's the problem as the plugs don't jump out at ya when looking at the engine

detroitauto, Jan 13, 6:48am
Hope its not a 4JX

mugenb20b, Jan 13, 7:14am
4JX1! Don't tell me, it's hard to start, right!

armoured, Jan 13, 10:08pm
Yup.that's the one. All too familiar aye!

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 1:26am
Is it hard to start when the engine is cold or when hot, or any time!

armoured, Jan 14, 11:53am
Cold at this stage. She was going fine one day, then when I went to start it (after the usual warming of the plugs) the next morning it didn't want to go at all. I tried it again later in the day and it was a no go. A couple of days later out of interest I gave it another crack and it started for about 10secs then cut out and wouldn't start again!

intrade, Jan 14, 7:37pm
if it starts you have to keep the rpm up and see if it coughs gray smoke then warm it up and see if it starts again when hot dont let it stand for long when hot just turn off and start again within 30 secounds .then let it sit and see if it starts 15 minutes later. Some diesel need glowplugs even when hot some hardly need em at all like old 80s isuzu fire with 3 dead plugs almost normal even cold.

intrade, Jan 14, 7:39pm
So maybe get the glowplugs tested they can be tested on the car but the plate that goes across em has to come off to test the glower one by one with a special divise that takes power from the battery and glows em over the tool to indicate if they work or not. if you need help i could come by butbe away up in russel today fixing a clients small diesel and tomorrow morning is also booked out till after lunch.

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 7:41pm
I think the engine may have injector problems, but try glow plugs first. These engines need to run a low viscosity oil too, from memory.

intrade, Jan 14, 7:53pm

armoured, Jan 16, 3:20am
Since I've had it the injectors have been changed (factory recall), and I've recently replaced the second blown turbo (including oil pickup kit) with a new one. It's also gone through 2 sets of glow-plugs. I've ensured that is has been running low viscosity oil also and have taken care of it. Just need to get it back on the road

detroitauto, Jan 16, 4:27am
correct me if im wrong, was the 4jx1 a cat design!

franc123, Jan 16, 4:41am
Yes it was originally.I think Cat decided that it was a Dog and then in an amazingly incompetent display of fudged thinking some bigwig at Isuzu thought it was a good design and bought the rights to the damn thing after a hard session on the Sake.Biiiig mistake.