1970 Isuzu Bellett

Page 1 / 2
mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:31am
OK, here's the story:
We went to pick this car up from our client's house, it hasn't been running for 4 or 5 years. I put some fresh fuel in it, pumped the tyres up, fitted a new battery and took it for a short drive. Great!

I was then given a job to do an oil change, so while the sump was draining, I removed what looked like a cartridge type oil filter. I unscrewed the "oil filter", only to find that the block takes a spin on filter. It then occured to me that the cartridge type filter is an after market add on of some kind.

So, I pulled apart this aluminium cannister, and its centre sleeve, spring, mesh, and other bits until I finally got to the filter media, which to my amazement was actually a complete toilet paper roll with its cardboard core! It fitted in the cannister perfectly.

Now, my question is, has anyone seen this before! Either someone was being a smart / tight ar$e, or it's how it's meant to be, which I highly doubt.

whqqsh, Nov 2, 6:36am
yup was common on old cars, seen an old chev with the same

modie61, Nov 2, 6:37am
Yup had 1 on our old HQ years ago.

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:38am
Are you guys serious!

hyphen, Nov 2, 6:40am
how old are you guys! these were quite common in the '80's and were a NZ invention.

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:42am
Well, I'm 30, and never seen anything like it.

modie61, Nov 2, 6:44am
Our HQ had 1 in 1982-3 i think,it was fitted remote on the inner guard.

whqqsh, Nov 2, 6:48am
dunno if everyone is on the same track here but I thought your question was on the use of the toilet roll rather than the remote oil filter unit itself

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:48am
Yes, the toilet roll.

modie61, Nov 2, 6:50am
Yea you used to buy them and they were identical to a toilet roll,so someone has just chucked a dunny roll in,does the same trick. Hey the car still goes doesnt it !

hyphen, Nov 2, 6:51am
correction, maybe not a NZ invention but the canisters were made here, they were a by-pass filter so you could extend your mileage between oil changes or until the oil "looked discoloured". There was a business in Frankton that recycled used engine oil by filtering it through a bank of these canister filters.

luxy, Nov 2, 6:52am
yes its ment to be like that. put a new roll in and you can use the old one! so itsfree filter

modie61, Nov 2, 6:53am
What is the rest of the car like ! They are quite rare now arent they !

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:54am
It runs like a Swiss watch, but I would've expected the paper to fall apart. It did have a very fine mesh screen on both sides of it, so there would be no chance of contamination anyway.

hyphen, Nov 2, 6:56am

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 6:56am
It's almost like brand new, been repainted recently, interior immaculate, no rust, sqeaks or rattles.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 2, 6:57am
yeps, I have a friend with a 55 Ford with a toilet roll oil filter, get the cheaper stuff as its a little less fluffy and not as tear-able, and just un ravel the exess amount till it pops into the sleeve easily , dont force it in or it stops the oil flowing properly

ladatrouble, Nov 2, 7:02am
Yes,they are a by-pass filter and pretty common in the '70's and '80's. There was some certain brand of toilet paper we used to use that was supposed to be the best.a fluffy one. We were trialling them in a trucking fleet I was working on in the mid '70's - some guy would come around,test the oil and say he'd be back in 25,000 miles to retest.we never changed the oil in those trucks.

mike107, Nov 2, 7:13am
A friend has a Model A Ford truck it has NO oil filter. He drains oil and puts it through a toilet roll canister with electric pump then puts it back into model T!

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 7:50am
Wow! Well, if I had a model T, I would do everything I could that's best for it. Reusing "filtered" oil would not be it.

jmma, Nov 2, 8:30am
Shitty job, but someones got to change it (o:

clark20, Nov 2, 8:35am
Tell us more about the car, I had one and even raced it. Did Motokanas and locked the diff. I even found a motor that had gemini pistons in it, so it was a 4mm or 160 thou overbore, made it 1624cc. I just managed to get a 17.9s 1/4 out of it , which I thought was great at the time.

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 8:36am
That's a good one!

mugenb20b, Nov 2, 8:55am
Well, I know bugger all about its history, but this one is almost perfect. Interior is red, exterior is blue, drives really nice, steering is very light and precise. Gearbox is silky smooth, engine starts first pop and runs clean as a whistle. It will definitely not do a 17 second 1/4 mile, let alone reach 100km/h.
I got a bit worried raising the car on the hoist as I watched the rear wheels' camber altering. They caved in, as if the wheels were trying to grab on to the floor, much like early Beetles. Strange suspension set up. The engine looks like a copy of a BMC product, kind of.but it's got Isuzu written all over it.
It's a very narrow car inside, you can easily reach over to the passenger door and unwind the window. I'm 180 cm tall I feel comfortable inside it, but that's probably its limit, if you are any taller you won't like it. It's a very nice classic car in my opinion.

clark20, Nov 2, 10:06am
Yep, swing axles at the back, rack and pinion steering was good. The motor is a copy of a Humber motor. And yes, bright red vinyl interior. The deluxe versions came with a heater! Not saying they were great but it was my first car