Nissan Tiida - thinking of getting one

Page 1 / 2
focuson21, Jan 7, 6:09am
Have read some reviews - and they are mixed. Does anyone have experience with one. We've always has Nissans - sentra and Q - and have had no problems. They just keep on going. you cant't get new Sentras anymore - Is the Tiida the new equivalent!

chris_051, Jan 7, 6:29am
Tiida was the Sentra/Pulsar replacement, just another bland jap shitbox conjesting our roads.
Mazda 3, Golf and Focus would be a more enjoyable car to own imo.

msigg, Jan 7, 6:45am
yes they are excellent cars, the corolla is probably better though but more expensive, these two cars will not let you down.

phillip.weston, Jan 7, 6:57am
I found the Tiida is a horrible car to drive. I agree with Chris, opt for something else.

gman35, Jan 7, 7:57am
Hmmmm , Tiida , the name says , well I'm not sure what it says exactly , but would not chose it as a car name , and as for the styling , Nissan has gone and stayed in some weird place as soon as they did that last primera (looked like a dolphin side on ). I like Nissan engineering generally and have one of their vans , quite like the current macho Navara/Pathfinder styling , but their cars nowadays I just could'nt.

bashfulbro, Jan 7, 8:08am
the back seat is far too small for any lovemaking, i tried it in one with my wife`s younger sister, and ended up with a black eye and a broken nose.

grangies, Jan 7, 8:36am
Cant be too bashful, if you try that sort of carry on.

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:08am
Our family has one, it is a 1.8 Ti model, NZ new from 2006. Overall very happy with the vehicle, it does exactly what it should. Main points of interest are:

~ Heaps of room front to back, you will get 6" people in all four seats very comfortably but the width of the car inside is a little narrower than other large sedans so the rear middle seat is for skinny people.
~ Interior build quality is excellent, everything feels nice and I cannot think of anything that feels cheap. Ours has the half leather (I think it is vinyl) interior and black dash so looks pretty sharp.
~ Interior options are rather limited even though ours is the high spec model. It has the curtain airbags too but with regards to goodies it doesn't have much at all

~ Engine is good, flat torque band and does well both around town and on the open road. On the open road economy is in the low to mid 6L/100km mark, around town it gets under 8L/100km
~ Transmission is a 4 speed auto in ours and to be honest it is the weak point of the vehicle. Ratios are fine for town, it is a little slow on the shifting to be considered racey but on the open road it needs to have an gear inbetween 3rd and 4th for the rolling hills we have down here. It is not too bad but I find I switch off overdrive coming up to hills that I would just power up in 5th in the old sentra

~ Comfort is reasonable, the car is quite narrow and seating position high and you can feel that a bit when you are on a rough tarmac road but otherwise it is smooth and comfortable
~Road noise is pretty low overall.
~ Servicing is simple, nothing out of the ordinary in this arena. The engine have a silent timing chain, a new type from nissan and doesnt require scheduled maintenance. Auto doesnt require maintenance according to the manual but we will probably give it a flush at 100,000km.
~ Styling is well, your own taste will determine it really. It does grow on you and isn't hideous, just a bit strange.

I wouldn't recommend getting the 1.5, it felt terribly underpowered for open road use when we test drove some. The 1.8 is apparently a bit more economical too in NZ conditions. CVT should be fine if you keep them serviced but are not that nice to drive but I am a purebred manual man (this Tiida is my mother's). I hope that helps you out a bit, ask any other questions if you want but I think I have covered the main points pretty well.

focuson21, Jan 7, 9:13am
Looking at the 1.8 for driving school car. We do lots of mileage - will it stand the constant driving!

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:18am
Its a nissan! Of course it will. Just keep the servicing up to scratch and it will rack up the miles. I haven't heard of any inherent faults with these cars and I have done a lot of research into that when looking for ours.

As a driving school car I think it would be pretty good, visibility is good all around and they are quite docile to drive. Safety is meant to be pretty good, the car is well designed with regards to crumple zones and safety shell. Some models, especially NZ new after 2007 have curtain airbags which if you are in the car all the time I think is quite important.

Have you investigated what is involved with getting the second brake pedal put in! That could be a go/no-go factor for you.

focuson21, Jan 7, 9:22am
yes, been in industry 20 plus years - have dual control cars already. had sentras and Q in past, and students like driving them. It may be that the man who did our duals is not doing them now - we have had the last car 4 years. problems with 1st gear at the moment, so looking to get a new car.

focuson21, Jan 7, 9:24am
they're on special at the moment - save $8K - demo cars. pity the colours aren't what we are used to - red.

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:29am
ah, you buying new!

In that case if it fits your bill then OK but for a private owner they arent a good choice of new car mainly because they are now a 5 year old design while other brands have much newer designs on the market. For an operation like yours where the goal is to make money it could well be the best option.

studio1, Jan 7, 9:33am
How do you actually say that name!
Is it'tie - id - a', or 'tee - id - a', 'tie - eed- a'. 'tee - eed - a', or what!

Much like that other well known Nissan, the QASHQAI. Someone said it's 'kashkai' but the letters QA don't make that sound.

I'd never buy anything that I can't pronounce the name of.

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:35am
can you say cavalier!

focuson21, Jan 7, 9:35am
we have had 3 auto cars - and each one has lasted twice as long as some of his competitors. as you say, regular servicing, regular tyre changes etc - makes them a reliable car. Just concerned with the mixed reviews we read about the Tiida.

studio1, Jan 7, 9:37am
Yep but I'd never buy one of those either!

focuson21, Jan 7, 9:37am
Nissan Tiida ST hatchback - what does the ST stand for! and price is $23,990 - drive away

morrisman1, Jan 7, 9:51am
There is ST and Ti

ST is the more basic one
Ti is the higher spec model

What mixed reviews are you getting!

edit, it seems only the Ti has curtain airbags. That is something you want seeing you will be in town most of the time with inexperienced drivers at the wheel.

galex, Jan 7, 10:13am
It is "Kashkai" saw a Nissan guy on TV talking about it last year sometime. Jap pronunciation I suppose as opposed to English.

focuson21, Jan 7, 10:24am
i googled Tiida reviews - some 1/5 ratings and others 4/5.

morrisman1, Jan 7, 10:27am
What were the reasons for the low reviews!

focuson21, Jan 7, 10:29am
I have had my brand new tiida st hatchback for just over 6 months. I have had it in to the dealership service centre several times for a range of issues- reverse gear function would not work on day 1.
the air con dial lost all the markers- they faded like they were really old- took it back for replacement.
the electric window winder on drivers side failed- took it back to get fixed- the service centre said it had "unset itself"!
the automatic crusie control failed while driving- took it in- was told it needed a new part- took it in for new part was told it was fixed.
Cruise control still not working- needs looking at again. 1/5

focuson21, Jan 7, 10:30am
Too many faults.Had to replace the control assembly which I had to pay for labour. The car is only 4yrs. old. and has done only 42,800 kms. Now aircondintiong has gone and has been in the work shop for 2 days and they still don't know what the problem is. Even the nissan people don't know. So if they can't fix it where else can I take it. Even my daughters Tida has to have the control assembly replaced. 1/5

morrisman1, Jan 7, 10:42am
poor bugger, no cars are perfect but at least it wasnt something like a blown motor or anything critical. I have had to reset the drivers door window once, its simple, something like put it half down, then put it up, holding up for 5 seconds.

Remember that unhappy people are normally noisier than happy people, with the exception with Jazzman