1996 camry remote dead

bmill, Feb 26, 9:23am
My remote stopped working today.Is there a way that I can start the car with key only.I lock car with key then open with keyput key in ignition but it is still imobilized wont start.Is there any way I can start the car with key but no remote.Thanks

joeinwellington, Feb 26, 9:34am
Is it a factory imbobiliser or an after market one!

matrix641, Feb 26, 9:35am
This sounds like an aftermarket alarm, not a factory toyota security system.

I know with most alarms with immobilizers, you get a 4 digit code to start the car without the remote. It should be on a card that looks like the size of your credit card, usually hidden somewhere in your car (under floor mats, spare tire well etc). You enter the code by turning your key from off to on, then to off again for as many times as your first digit, then enter the second digit and so forth, the car alarm light somewhere in your dash signals when to start doing the sequence. (All this information should be on the thing with the 4digit code).

If you cant find the code you are out of luck, bar hot wiring the car. Just take the battery out of your remote and get a friend to drive you do your nearest gas station. They have most alarm remote battery types.

bmill, Feb 26, 9:43am
factory system im sure has red light flashing on dashboard.thanks

matrix641, Feb 26, 9:59am
suprisingly you are correct, they did come out with a factory immobilizer. My bad.
Did a bit of research, people said this worked on a 95 and 96 camry with factory immobilizer:
Lock the car with the key on drivers door, Unlock it, put the key into the iginition and turn it to ACC (red lights on dash show up). If you leave it like that for 30minutes, the immobilizer will disarm and turning one click over, should start it.

Try google for any other methods but im pretty sure this is it.

bmill, Feb 26, 10:07am
will try that first thing in morning thanks

jasongroves, Feb 26, 10:45am
I've got all the info here for re-programming the key if you want it.
You will probably need to replace the battery in the key (only if its flat of course) and then you will be able to re-program it.

mottly, Feb 26, 11:31pm
it may be like my one - a sealed unit, in which case you need to go to your toyota dealership and buy a new one - they programme it to your car while you wait (takes about 2 mins) and costs about $200 :(

gtrnut, Feb 26, 11:46pm
if it is an oval remote with a single button you cannot replace the battery as they are a sealed unit -as MOTTLY described he is correct-but it should only cost approx $130.00 -$150.00 incl gst coded to the car usually-MATRIX641 is correct on how to get the vehicle going then drive to Pacific Toyota -ring them first -they usualy carry the remotesin stock-if it has two steel blades in the end of the remote -it may need to be pre coded from Toyota NZ if your one is not working and may be same price or little dearer

ema1, Feb 27, 12:03am
Transponder Keys they are called and I bought some from the USA on eBay for spares for my 2000 Toyota Avalon and they didn't cost anything like they cost here (actually landed here).
They are blanks, I got them cut to the same profile combination as my original key and they work great.
I also have the sequence of how to program the keys to the cars particular security system.
Go onto eBay and enter Toyota Transponder keys in the ebay Browser and screeds of them will come up on screen.
I got 3 for the grand total of $36USD about $50NZD plus freight at the time .about 4 months ago.
Surprisingly they arrived within a week of purchase.real quick infact quicker than NZ new ones at times.
The keys I got are identical to the original key I've got and are Toyota logoed as well.
Pays to have a couple of spares really for this very problem.my car only had the one key when I bought it.
Cheers hope this helps.

ema1, Feb 27, 12:14am
The one you will need going by what I have checked up on via eBay just now will be the (4C chip )Transponder Key which is exactly the same as the ones I purchased, they cover several Toyota models Avalon . Camry etc etc including some of the 4WD types and vans so equipped.
It is identical to the original Toyota transponder for way less cost.Cheers.

purple666, Feb 27, 12:44am
$80 for one for a 1997 camry, that was from Toyota and they programed it for me on the spot about 3 months ago

bmill, Feb 27, 4:40am
Is there any way to do away with the remote and use the key only.Thanks

bigfatmat1, Feb 27, 4:47am
open the glove box and place remote in holder car should start

bmill, Feb 27, 5:08am
can't find any holder in glovebox.Thanks

ema1, Feb 27, 7:10am
I see the Trade Me moderator has removed a post of mine that included an email address for reprogramming info I have regarding transponder keys for Toyota Camry.
Nothing sinister was intended , just trying to help a poster in a predicament was all but the next best way to let OP know how to program a transponder key for his car is shown in the cars owner manual (if he has one!)
To the folks at Trade Me Naughty of me I know now .I apologize for that unintended "indiscretion" for info that already is in the public domain.
To the Trade Me moderator , I unreservedly apologize.it won't happen again in any way. Cheers and thank you for informing me of such.

for_an_angel, Feb 27, 7:14am
You need to turn key to ON not acc for 30min and make sure heater fan and stereo are off or you will have a flat battery. After 30 mins the red light in the dash will be off, then the system will be down and you will be able to start the car when ever without a remote. They are cheaper then $80 at our dealership and take less then 2 mins to sign on.

bmill, Feb 27, 9:06am
Have you ever come acroos a camry without the remote holder in the glove box.Thanks

for_an_angel, Feb 27, 9:50am
Yea only the early model Camry had the glove box coder yours dose not.

bmill, Feb 27, 10:32am
is the coder located somewhere else how can the key be programed without it.Thanks

lyonruge, Feb 27, 6:31pm
The remote holder IS in the glove box, slide the remote in there, wait a second or two, not sure if the lights flash, but it will power up the remote and turn off the immobiliser. Pull out and start as normal. You can replace the battery, we used to put the remote in a vice and squeeze it till till you heard the plastic cracking, slowly of course, then pry it open, replace battery and glue together.

lyonruge, Feb 27, 6:32pm
The holder is in the top right as you look into the open glove box. It is dark and only the size of a match box, slide the remote in with the contacts facing in.

bmill, Feb 27, 6:44pm
i have had a good look and no holder is there.Any else it could be.Thanks

bmill, Jun 3, 12:19pm
Had a wrecked camry for parts and found a glove box that had the coder in removed my glovebox and found wire connection that connected to the coder.I inserted my remote and it has srarted to work again.Have no idea why it stopped in the first place.can anybody shed any light one this.If I buy a new remote can I use the coder to program it to my car.Thanks