Toyota Camry

frank1, Oct 9, 9:40am
2002 model G-2.4
just changed auto trans oil/filter--Auto data says 3.5 litres for U241E trans which mine is,but only comes to minimum level on dipstick.
However U241 trans specifies 8.2 litres--which seems heaps too much,so added another litre to the 4litres I put in--and still showing low
And yes motor running and in park
Any suggestions from Toyota mechanics--tia

a.woodrow, Oct 9, 9:43am
If its reading within the marks, take it for a drive. fluid level should be checked hot. can't remember off hand the drain and refill amount but the 8.2L will be total capacity, not drain and refill

frank1, Oct 9, 9:49am
Yep--checked when hot--still showing low--not sure why u say total capacity-surely total capacity would be as specified for drain and refill!

phillip.weston, Oct 9, 10:00am
Good luck draining the transmission fluid from the torque converter and within the planetary gears when you empty just the sump. Draining a sump often accounts for not even half the total capacity. I would say the 3.5L was the drain sump/refill amount while 8.2L is the amount to fill the trans from dry. Did you not make a note of how much fluid was initially drained from the transmission!

franc123, Oct 9, 10:02am
Nope because you haven't drained the converter, in most autos less than half of the fluid is in the actual pan, which is only what you drained.Normally two figures get quoted, one for a dry refill after a rebuild and the other for the draining of the case minus the converter.To add further confusion if you are doing a flush on it both figures become meaningless as you need significantly more than the dry refill figure to do it properly.

a.woodrow, Oct 9, 10:17am
frank1 wrote:
Yep--checked when hot--still showing low--not sure why u say total capacity-surely total capacity would be as specified for drain and refill![/quo

The other posters have got it spot on. add a bit more, if its low, its low. If you knew how to change trans filter and fluid, I'm sure you're reading the dipstick right. Just top up as required

frank1, Oct 9, 10:42am
OK-thanks for replies guys--but only drained sump,and replaced filter--and my cd (autodata)-says 3.5 litres to refill-so torque converter should still be full--and dipstick still only shows low level--as I said added 1 litre to 3.5l--and came up a little but not to high mark (when hot)
Yep--thanks franc123/a.woodrow
Not sure now of Auto datas specs--and will check volume of what was drained tomorrow

mugenb20b, Oct 10, 5:30am
Congratulations, you've just done a half arsed automatic transmission service.

dent, Oct 10, 7:16am
just fill it to the required level. No program can tell you how much you are really going to get out when only draing part of it

gadgit3, Oct 10, 9:53am
Drain and refill is not what you have done so you can't go off the drain and refill spec.
If you removed the pan and replaced the strainer (filter) then you have released the fluid held up in the valve body also this amount of fluid could be up to 1L more then a drain and refill spec. And then it could be more depending on how long you let it drain for.
Just keep adding fluid until it's at the cold max mark.
Hope you used type T4 fluid and not just dextron 3.

frank1, Oct 11, 4:22am
OK--drained 5L,refilled with 5L. but only shows full with motor off.
When started and in park barely shows on dipstick.
I was always told level is checked in park with motor running.
And no-gadgit 3,did not use T4 fluid,used DEXRON 3 semi synthetic.
Shit--should I change it!

zooki007, Dec 28, 9:46am
Yes you will need to use T-VI oil.
The other oil that you can use is Castrol Transmax E