Ford Falcon XE

xc-coon, Mar 2, 9:31am
Is the bonnet and grill and head lights of an XE fairmont giha the same as a plain XE falcon!

dr_blueoval, Mar 2, 9:50am
No the Ghia lamps are wider as they incorporate spotlights as well, you will see the difference if you look at pictures of the two side by side.The integral spotlights were made standard across the range on XF, which of course was a different style of lamp again.

xc-coon, Mar 2, 10:04am
OK. So if the head lamps are wider, would that mean the front guards, the bonnet and grill are slightly different on the ghia as well! Thanks for your input. And yes I am talking phsically the same cheers. Im tyring to convert my XF to an XE, on the outside atleast, and I dont want to mix and match XE falcon parts with EX fairmont ghia parts if they are not going to bolt up together.

dr_blueoval, Mar 2, 10:06am
Foglights yes, factory S pack models also had these.

xc-coon, Mar 2, 10:08am
Thanks guys. From those pictures it looks like the front guards are the same, but the bonnet and grill and headlights are slightly different!

dr_blueoval, Mar 2, 10:14am
May I ask why you want to do this, you just prefer the look!Its a bit of a retrograde step to fit an XE GL front to any XF, you lose the extra spotlights for a start unless of course you fit some bumper mounted ones, the conversion is normally done the other way around.The XF front is also much more aerodynamic and improves fuel economy a bit at speed, by how much is hard to measure.Second hand XF/XG lights are also much easier to get should you break one or the reflectors deteriorate.

dr_blueoval, Mar 2, 10:18am
Actually the foglights were independently controlled, there was a separate switch for them on the lower dash panel where the fuel flap/boot release switches were on XF's.

xc-coon, Mar 2, 10:20am
Haha each to there own I guess. Memories of DJ in the Greens Tuff XE when I was 8 years old maybe! Always swore Id build some thing tuff that evey one hated when I was older and over the pisssh of subarus and mitsis. Old men drive Xf's in my opinion. lol. Ive actually got an XF 351 ute aswell.doh

xc-coon, Mar 2, 10:26am
By the way my XF which I bought last year is a Fairmont Ghia if you know any one who wants the efi motor, guards, lights bumper etc. And yes it does have factory fog lights in the bumper. I bought it because its in mint condition! Sorry to tell you guys but I already have the XE ESP front bumper, rear bumper, tail lights, mirrors, ghia guards, Just trying to source a good bonnet and grill. Prob buy brand new head lights and indicators, they are cheap from rare spares. Then into the paint shop!

dr_blueoval, Mar 2, 10:33am
Sounds like it will work quite well until a Ford trainspotter looks at the interior, particularly the dash and seats.Good luck with the conversion, would have to say that its not a common thing to do.I guess depending on what you engine plans are it gives a bit more height under the bonnet and a bit more cooling area in the front, this was more of a problem for those who were fitting large V8's to them with XF fronts, those weren't intended to house V8's.

xc-coon, Mar 2, 10:39am
Ha ha thanks for your help anyway guys.It was just alot easier to find a mint XF for $3g and then convert it while keeping the luxury interior then a mint XE for the same price. If you ever see a plain silver XE with an angry cleveland and a mint XF interior (I admit the EX interiors were pretty bad), youll know its me.and the kids.and the wife.

joanie32, Mar 3, 1:46am
good on yaxc. Personally an xf front always looked like an after thought to me too. The rest of the car has nice sharp lines but the snout and bum look all rounded and dont match up. Iremember they (xfs) were considered an ugly duckling by many when new.

quickstitch, Mar 3, 7:01am
xc coon, i could be keen on your xf front, i have another ute project on the go. and im heading up to the far north in the next week or so to pick upa 351.

3tomany, Jun 10, 11:52am
my first falcon was an xf it cost 80 bucks to fill the tank and you could watch the digital fuel guage delete bars as you drove along lol. didnt deter me i havnt missed a falcon model since, but my current one only does 10.5 ltres per 100k average. i am tempted to buy a good xf just for the hell of it my children might not exist if not for that car what a great car.