Good towing vehicle suggestions? Again.

Page 1 / 2
skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 5:40am
Yep me again going on about towing vehicles. Have decided tandem braked trailer is the only way. Now looking for a vehicle. Have had hugely conflicting views over 4x4 diesels vs commodores vs others.

So. Here we go. This is my list of what is required, and I ask for suggestions on vehicles that fit the criteria and also information on what is going to be reliable and cause no problems while towing.

-Needs to tow 1200kg racecar on a tandem braked trailer (approx 500kgs)
-Said vehicle needs to be purchased for no more than $4500
-This $4500 needs to include any extra up front costs like external trans cooler or other preventitve maintenance (heads up on that stuff would be good too)
-Would like something with no more than around 200,000kms. Unless you can prove they are reliable and wont have upcoming costs
-And of course it needs to be able to tow on the Napier-Taupo road with no issues.
-Would like something thats not going to use $40 odd per 100km.
-Really really dont want a ford either.

Will be used for towing racecar approx 12 weekends a year, so every 4 weeks maybe.

Thats about it guys

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 5:44am
How many km's is this likely to do in a year!
I am thinking falcodore for that sort of price. But you could keep quite an open mind as 1700KG is achievable with a few vehicles. The reason for falcodore is you are going to get something reasonable for the money and cheap to fix. If you were spending a lot more I would be suggesting otherwise.

On the open mind side I would definitely be keeping an eye out for a new shape Ducato as there have been a couple go in your price range in the last few months. They rock the house because not only do they tow well, they are cheap to run and you can set it up with a bed, tool bench or whatever.

Chances are you won't find a Ducato again for that price in time but it would be a shame if one came up and you missed it.

Best of luck!

girlracer2005, Feb 28, 5:47am
nissan navara's seem to do the job well towing a 2000kg offroader + trailer

but have also used a hilux with the trailer with a car on to auckland no probs

must say both are 2005+ vehicles

phillip.weston, Feb 28, 5:49am
Can't go wrong with a Falcodore.

franc123, Feb 28, 5:52am
Do I have to repeat this!FALCON WAGON or UTE.Any diesel 4x4 you are getting for that budget is stuffed or else has expensive repairs coming up.With those sorts of weights involved Commodores are OK but lack the torque and the superior leaf spring setup (yes it is superior with a big load on, Holden and their fans don't understand this) that the coons have.

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 5:52am
Do I really need to worry about the IRS in a commodore with towing! Will it tow well with IRS! Im worried im going to shag the suspension towing with IRS. Not too worried about killing a set of tyres in a year with IRS.

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 5:53am
I cant bring myself to buy a ford. I seriously looking into that v8 EL wagon. But i just cant do it.

im_andrew, Feb 28, 5:54am
Why not rent a tow vehicle once a month! Hell of a lot cheaper than buying and maintaining a second vehicle.

chris241, Feb 28, 5:55am
agreeget something with leaf springs in the rear

dr.doolittle, Feb 28, 5:58am
Bit fussy about the colour too I suppose.

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 5:58am
Ive got a motorbike, but Ive always owned 2 or 3 vehicles so Im used to maintaining costs of owning 2 vehicles. its the up front costs, and any unexpected costs associated with towing that im trying to get undercontrol

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 5:59am
Didnt mind the colour actually.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 6:00am
+1 even I happily change brands to suit the purpose. Suck it up and get the best machine for the job. For $4500 you are not going to be in much of a position to be buying a favorite toy. after all isnt that what you are towing!

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:00am
A lifetime of holdens is not baseless. Asking someone to buy a ford when being with holdens is like asking them to change sex after a lifetime of being the other sex.

framtech, Feb 28, 6:00am
Jeep cherokee, 4litre, good for towing, cheap to buy.

chris241, Feb 28, 6:08am
guy at work had that model would over heat the trans while twoing. fitted big trans cooler and still overheated

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:11am
Cheers mate thats the sort of feedback im keen for. Was really interested in a wizard, good to hear of faults like this before hand.

chris241, Feb 28, 6:13am
i dont know if there all that bad but his was so bad they had to get anouther car to tow the boat as it couldnt do it with out the trans temp light coming on

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:24am
Moving from a holden to a ford is not like going from a mud hut to a 6 star hotel.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 6:38am
+1 its sad when we get so closed minded that we won't buy the best tool for the job because of the badge on the front. I would love it if Fiat made a big ass tow wagon/truck suitable for what I want for $3000 but they don't.
So when the time comes shortly I will more than likely be buying a Falcon Ute. I would just as happily buy a Toyota or anything else if it was the best tool for the job.

twink19, Feb 28, 6:42am
why a V8, I bought a 2001 Falcon last year $3500 done 250k 2 ownersto tow race car, goes great,

chris241, Feb 28, 6:47am
that wagon looks ok to me and will do the job. Its a good price pitty its a ford

steelman3, Feb 28, 6:50am
not hard anything with a six cylinder
V8 don't have the staying power

chris241, Feb 28, 6:51am
i think that falcons a realy good buy and id say you will get it for lees as its $4500ono.

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:53am
Is it leaf spring suspension!

That v8 was shown to me on my last thread. Guy was looking for a decent ford wagon to show me. And happened to find a v8 one.