Potential new race series - your suggestions

Page 1 / 2
socram, Oct 30, 2:09am
I thought that modified Tuk-Tuk or three wheeler racing might be a fun class.Cheap and with only three wheels, plenty of opportunity for lateral thinking- could even include the new Morgan trike!

People mover or van racing might be popular too.Bring on the Cosworth powered Transit(s)!

Or how about SUV 4WD racing!Range Rovers, BMWs, Toyotas, Lexus etc.Lets say over 5 or 10 years old!

Must be something that has a variety of vehicles.Any suggestions!

geedubu, Oct 31, 2:57am
Really like the SUV's idea, it has quite a lot going for it. There are so many about, several with marketing hinting at performance.A thundering Range Rover would be quite a sight!Could be a way for me to give my Toyota Harrier a suitable end to its life!In a more pedestrian (!) vein, must be some sub-set of the Japanese modified sedan/coupe masses that could be organised into another accessible class; they sure do have a large following & ownership.

saki, Oct 31, 3:02am
Campervans, caravan racing or rallying

big.b-lil.c, Oct 31, 3:03am
this idea is stolen from a farm racing class.
impose a maximum $$ spent on the race vehicle. the kicker is that if someone racing in the class offers you the maximum $ that you are allowed to spend on the build you must sell it to them.

ryans, Oct 31, 5:11am
I would like a race series with enormous jumps, loop the loops, barrel rolls, etc.
Yes, immature, but I still want it.

trogedon, Oct 31, 5:52am
Possibly you're thinking of Flying.
I like the People mover idea. There needs to be a minimum occupant number too - 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 kids. Fun for the whole whanau.

fordcrzy, Oct 31, 7:09am
i reckon a race series for CARS that are powered by motorcycle engines.

love to see some small hatches/micro cars screaming around with hyabusa or R1 engines.

something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=KujCUCgn6TY

trogedon, Oct 31, 7:13am
I saw a Mini with a Hyabusa engine driving along the road today. It was a waste of both vehicles.

nave12, Oct 31, 7:30am
Here you go the aussie racing cars class runs motorbike engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=SESzGe2Ge-k

mugenb20b, Oct 31, 7:40am
I would've thought quite the opposite.

ryans, Oct 31, 9:14am
It would be quite cool to have open wheeled racers with 250cc engines, with no power restrictions, insane RPMs with insane levels of boost.

socram, Oct 31, 9:32am
I was thinking of something using existing vehicles as the starting point and something on the lines of a silhouette formula - if you know what I mean.

I am rather bored with Holden vs Ford and most of the one make/model racing.The classic scene is pretty strong, yet club racing doesn't seem to be as strong as it could be or used to be.It needs a shot in the arm and a bit of lateral thinking, as with small grids, the sport dies.

SUV racing is probably the most feasible but the more I think about it, the more three wheelers makes sense.The inherent instability of a single front wheel is a challenge (and potentially the most spectacular. but two front wheels can be quite stable).Watch the Tuk-Tuks haring around India and Bangkok with underpowered engines, and you can immediately see the potential for some fun if repowered!

trogedon, Oct 31, 7:30pm
Bicycles ;-)

socram, Oct 31, 8:03pm
Thanks Trog.Prefer a race where an 8 lap race finishes before dusk.

tigra, Oct 31, 8:25pm
At last a use for my Reliant Robin!

elect70, Nov 1, 1:37am
Definately dont need another single seaterclass .They tried 2 & niether caught on so theyallow them to compete as sports cars . I would like to see more sportscars racing ,E type jags MGBMX5BMW z carsetc.

bellky, Nov 1, 1:41am
rotaries from the 70s

morrisman1, Nov 1, 1:45am
It's not what you drive, its how you drive it. I personally have great interest in competing in motorsport but have not had the finances to break into the scene. I have recently found that clubsport events are great fun and only cost what you want them to, I can go out and for not much over $50 spend a day at the track competing.

A lot of good drivers will be out there but have not had the opportunity to get into it. There are lots of old cars around which can be very competitive and cost almost nothing to get set up. For example the gymkhana car I am currently building has cost me $300 so far and has great potential of cleaning up the competition if driven correctly. Heaps of people are in the position to set up something similar and it would be great to see more opportunities to get into motorsport without spending a fortune.

I havnt thought of any classes which may be possible but dirt track racing against the clock is one which is always a blast.

geedubu, Nov 1, 3:22am
Are you looking for tarmac racing!I imagine so.For variety of makes it would have to be something based on a production class/genre so I'll stick with SUV's as best yet (your original idea).There are racing trucks & racing utes (GM/Ford V8 yawnfest) so SUV's are a class with many vehicles on the road not yet represented in racing.Otherwise if its homebuilts, the best ever was 750's based on Austin 7's so a modern equivalent could be the 250 class (as described in a Classic Driver letter) ie 250 cc do what you like with the engine; 250kgs(!) and a cost limit!Or 500's, (the old F3 was brilliant) motorbike engines up to 500cc in the back of a tubular space frame.Trikes I think are a bit out there technologically, very few production examples & a bit of an engineering challenge.Although my all time favourite spectating experience was watching maniac in a methanol fueled Morgan Aero up the exhaust pipe of a thundering 8 litre Bentley at VSCC Silverstone meeting.

elshaun, Nov 1, 3:52am
I feel the ideal series should be a "trade me motors poster my-rotor-goes-faster-than-your-
-V8-goes-faster-than-your-vtec-
-goes-faster-than-your-ricer-g-
oes-faster-than-your-etc"-

socram, Nov 1, 3:54am
Thanks for that geedubu.Yes, definitely tarmac racing within established clubs/events.The 750MC was indeed a fantastic breeding ground for establishing several manufacturers such as TVR, Lotus, Marcos, Mallock etc, but relies on people being prepared to build cars, rather than just race prepare.
Sticking a roll cage into a SUV strikes me as (relatively) cheap a modification as you could get, but under MSNZ rules, an unmodified car doesn't need a cage (which I agree with) or even harness belts (which I totally disagree with).
Bearing in mind the BTCC Volvo station wagon of a few years ago, a class just for SUV's may not even be necessary initially as I believe that if drivers turned up with a SUV to pad out existing classes, conforming to current safety regs, once enough were running, they could very easily form a class of their own.(OK, 3 wheelers was maybe being just a bit silly.but only a bit. )I don't see the size differential between say a Falcodore and a SUV as an issue either.

My own car at 43" high, is well below the waistline of an XJ6 Jag and we share track space.

geedubu, Nov 1, 5:39am
When I used to own an Austin Healey 3000, a sale much regretted, I remember being very hard pressed to keep up with a hard driven Range Rover V8.Maybe, but not entirely, up to driving skill.

marte, Nov 1, 5:42am
Racing in reverse
Use the rear vision mirror or 'over the shoulder'.

Racing while towing a trailer.
Racing with a car with 'space saver tires' on.
Racing while pushing a shopping trolly.

socram, Nov 1, 6:42am
Those sort of things are Waikaraka Park territory, not permanent circuit.

kazbanz, Nov 1, 8:04am
socram I dunno if its already done but some sort of "run wot you brung" class occurred to me. Literally open to any car from a pooch to a toyota vitz.
set up inA Band C grade. Your class isdictated by lap timeswith the same sort of time breakout rules they have for drag racing.
The idea being to prevent burglars entering c grade by cruising the timed practice. then come the race suddenly being 20% faster.
You'd have everything from new swifts to classic race cars on the trackbut maybee also a heap of new blood in their road cars who want to give racing a go.
Incidently "trike" (sidecar)racing is already alive and well and WAS a great motorcycle race class. there have been invitational events that sidecar guys have raced at and the spectators loved them