Highway tyres for a 4x4 - suggestions?

Page 1 / 2
unclejake, Jun 3, 7:10am
Nissan Patrol, 275/70/16

My offroad work is sand and coastal stones, probably once a month. Apart from around town use the rest of the journey is towing at 100kmph on the open road. I do not want an aggressive, noisy tyre. I am not changing vehicles.

I am only going to get 45,000kms out of my Bridgestone 694s - which will need replacing next month. Budget isn't really an issue.

Go!

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:00am
Hankooks Dynapro ATM's are pretty swell - but if youve got loads of money just roll in & buy whatever they tell you - with pockets as deep as yours who cares LOL

zooki007, Jun 3, 8:01am
Those Bridgestones are good A/T tyres. Cooper do a very good A/T tyre as well. Worth a look.

goldilocks64, Jun 3, 8:02am
maxxis

unclejake, Jun 3, 8:08am
LOL Zeph. The agents are trying to get me into a set of Cooper H/T. $1,600 or so.

I said - WTF! They said: Oh, you will get 80,000kms out of them. I said: WTF!

So yeah - if a $1k set of tyres lasts only half as long as a $1.6k set then "budget' isn't as much of an issue (if you see what I mean)

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:16am
The coopers are the shizen but hey - will you own that old truck in 8 years! Nah - its like buying tyres for the next 3 owners IMHO

I priced STT's for the new 'cruiser but its drug money - I wont ever do 50K in it in my life so wear isnt an issue

Go Coopers if you want to spend heaps & never buy tyres again lol

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:17am
What size are you trucking btw!

Sorry seen it now

vr4_legnum, Jun 3, 8:22am
Second that about Cooper's.

unclejake, Jun 3, 8:26am
80kms would be four years running, and I figure the truck will stay with me for the next two years. Dunno.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:27am
She'll be right mate, just do it

johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:30am
4x4 my mate who is a hard 4 by 4 nut reckons Hankooks Dynapro is the best you can get.

unclejake, Jun 3, 8:30am
You haven't put me crook yet Zeph, but could these Coopers really provide near to twice the milage! It seems hard to believe dunnit!

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:44am
RT03's would have to be the most underrated mud tyre on earth - so far the yanks are gobbling them up faster than the Koreans can make them - so much so I couldnt get a set of 315's for my Landcruiser argh!

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:46am
Yip - until you get some, its silly - I fitted some to a mates 60 series about 7 years ago - only does about 10K a year if its lucky & they are like half worn at 60odd thousand kms, I dont know how they get the compound that right so they dont act the goat on the road & or wear fast but they do, not too hard - not too soft et al

johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:50am
True true didn't know that, if I only had the room to own a off roader. Too many cars here has it is.

unclejake, Jun 3, 8:55am
I got some new springs fitted to the Patrol today BTW, and I don't even know what brand. OMG. I am turning into a middle aged muppet

johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:56am
I thought you are an uncle.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:57am
Gee thats better

unclejake, Jun 3, 9:01am
Aww stink.

The guy said: "Hey, your tyres are worn unevenly. You need new springs." I said:"WTF!" He said: "It will drive heaps better". I said: "Don't add any lift!" They said: WTF!!!

So yeah, they found some uprated springs at standard height.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:08am
Got a steering damper on that gas guzzler yet! If not specify a Raw big bore damper & look forward to driving with your pinkie on the wheel instead of both banana bunches clutching the plastic 'wheel' while driving

I think yours is the last with a real axle instead of Invented For Shopping (IFS) but I could be wrong

unclejake, Jun 3, 9:12am
Yeah bro. I threw a Tough Dog steering damper at it, along with a set (now don't hate me all over again) of (promise not to get mad) adjustable Rancho XL shocks.

The Ranchos have been good and still work - including the adjusters.

Also: Patrols do not have anything but proper suspension. At least up until 2010

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:13am
Rancho = cool, the in cab adjusties are coolest

Those return to centre dampers are swell as

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:14am
I fixxored it

unclejake, Jun 3, 9:14am
Word on the street is that the RTC dampers bugger the Nissan power steering in some way. Dunno.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:17am
True true - I heard of a few Toymotors getting offside with them too - reservoir cant burp fluid back fast enough