4wd suggestions (1991-1996 $4000-$7000)

Page 1 / 2
hamtostie, Jun 7, 6:27am
Team - Took a mates 3.0L Diesel Turbo Hilux out near the river and am hooked on getting a 4x4. Looking to spend around $4000 - $7000. I am not after a hardcore 4x4, but something that is solid, reliable and can handle the odd river bed and medium scale off-road expedition.

During the week it will be mostly tame city driving, not a lot of kms. Don't need 7 seats (no kids), and only do 2-3 long distance trips a year.

Been looking at:
1994 3.0L Diesel Turbo Hilux Surf
1996/7 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Diesel
1994/5 Terrano 2.7 Diesel

Thoughts! Ideas and suggestions! Things to look out for each model! Zeph - any preferences on what you would rather be working on! (cause it will come to you!) Cheers all, Steve.

franc123, Jun 7, 6:38am
Suzuki Escudo SWB 1.6 petrol, unless you were doing huge km's and towing heavy loads much of the time I wouldn't buy diesel, they're all old enough to be needing money spent on them to sort leaking pumps/cracked heads etc, unless an inspection or receipts from a previous owner reveal otherwise.IMO the best of that bunch is the TD27 Terrano IF its got a mechanical injector pump instead of an electronic one.Naturally even when buying a Zook you still need to be sure that the cooling system is not about to cause a heap of grief, or the thing has been abused in salt water conditions.

rod2, Jun 7, 6:49am
I've had a 94 Mitsi Pajero 3 litre SWB for about 10 years. The engine seems bulletproof. I've taken it for a few rides over sand dunes and down river beds and it was pretty good. Non-interferance engine so nothing breaks if the cam belt goes. A bit thirsty. Try not to get the ones with big yokohama cartwheels. The tyres are around $400 each if you can find them.

chris_051, Jun 7, 7:51am
Get an XJ Cherokee, pick em up for 2 grand these days. Spend a grand on a cheap 3" lift, chuck some 32s on it and it will nearly be unstoppable in the ruff stuff. One of, if not the best platforms out there for a mild off roader, for the money anyway.

mugenb20b, Jun 7, 8:55am
Isuzu MU (manual).

hamtostie, Jun 7, 9:23am
Cheers for the info guys. The Isuzu Mu does seem to tick all the boxes for what I am after - big, but not too big, and from the sounds of some of the write-ups, capable of the off road business. I think the Escudo will be a bit small for me (I'm 6ft+) and there doesn't seem to be a lot around.

tnt423 - That Surf does look good, but a little concerned that it might need a cert for the lift etc. I don't have the resources/knowledge at this stage to be sorting out that kind of issue - hopefully I will learn over time though.

hamtostie, Jun 7, 9:23am
mugenb20b - Any reason to get the manual! Seems to be far more Autos out there.

graham32, Jun 7, 10:11am
Agree'd had a mitsi diesel, isuzu diesel, got a ZJ Grand cherokee and it bloody great, not much dearer to run than my falcon around town, but cheap on highway cruising and tonnes of grunt in the bush

intrade, Jun 7, 9:11pm
if we can only choose from your list then it be either the isuzu or the 3.0 toyota . the terrano is a pile of crap rubish transmission rusting out structural floor parts and engine is not so terribile easy to do leaking fuelpump either.
I would get a nissan safari-patrol but your budget is not high for expensive vehicles like this.

desmodave, Jun 7, 9:21pm
What he said.Not as bad on fuel as Joe Blog would like to tell you if you dont nail it everywhere.

hamtostie, Jun 8, 1:39am
intrade - happy to look at other models if you have any suggestions. The Safari / Patrol is probably a little too big for my liking as it still will be my city car for 9/10ths of the time (I just won't use it much). I also don't have 4 kids or the need to tow anything, so probably a bit over the top for my situation.

There is a SWB Bighorn and Mu on Trademe that I might check out. Cheers of the responses thus far though lads.

intrade, Jun 8, 2:25am
safari also make swb. the straight 6 nissan is more reliable and is fitted to tons of earth moveing equipment so parts are cheap for that engine.
Your biggest problem with diesel is the bad fuel we got here in nz that roots the fuelpumps and injectors over time unless you add a additive like chemtech or winns-edt. plus roaduser charges are a killer so you dont gain 1 cent fighting all the problems the fuel provides.
Petrol alternatives are hilux surf for example a well maintained 4 cilinder surf is as powerfull as the diesel but of course will use more fuel but you also have the added benefit to be able to run injected lpg on a petrol engine.
so all depends what you need a 4x4 for! offroading just to drive up a tricky steep driveway save etc. for that a toyota tercel SW 4x4 would be more then good enough

thejazzpianoma, Jun 8, 2:31am
Import a 4x4 Panda Classic from Japan. We had the 2WD here so parts are easy. They are just a hoot and so cheap to run.

They serve a great dual purpose as a cheap commuter car as well and you won't find a cheaper or easier 4WD to maintain.

Retrieval is also super easy if you do get carried away given they are so light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=kYmtZKD6RVY

Besides, its always more fun driving the surprisingly capable underdog.

tnt423, Jun 8, 5:04am
Cert is easy to sort out cost around $450 its just like a Wof but you get a plate instead of a sticker. It would work out cheaper than buying a standard 4x4 and fitting all the gear on top,

Make sure you get some good recovery points fitted I refuse to pull people out now if they don't have their own rope and a propley mounted rated tow hook fitted.

Cookes do ropes $40 for 10m, hooks $20, shackels $15 each get the green pin ones as they have a higher SWL for 4wding at a good price.

hamtostie, Jun 8, 8:31am
Bumpidy (your guys advice is needed to help me decide!).

mears69, Jun 8, 8:43am
toyota prado

thejazzpianoma, Jun 8, 8:45am
There won't be any pandas on trademe there are only a couple of 4WD ones in the country (but there are a number of 2WD ones). BUT they cost next to nothing in Japan and a friendly car dealer could easily import you one in top condition well within your budget, heck you could probably grab two and have one for spares!
Just get someone who know what they are doing to do the importing, you have to get one the right year so that it can by complied etc. The actual year of the Panda does not matter for your purposes as they are all pretty much identical for the 20 year run.

danchop, Jun 8, 8:50am
you could have my 96 terrano td27 done 158000kms for $5000

chris_051, Jun 8, 8:54am
Do you mean like this thing jazz (looks to be about as usefull as tits on a bull)

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=o-NDU5uAGx4&feature=channel_video_title

tnt423, Jun 8, 9:13am
may as well just get a lada only cost you a couple of hundred.

michaelqian, Jun 8, 10:05am
Also agree with the XJ Cherokee, 1995 to 1998 model. I've got a 1995 limited edition and have had it for about 5 years now. It is the most reliable piece of gear out there. Over these years I've spent maybe about $600 in total in repairs, which is pretty good for its age. Plenty of power. I drive from central Auckland to Manukau, mostly highly and get 14.3L/100km.

mugenb20b, Jun 8, 10:21am
More power, easier to control when going down hill, more reliable. Autos are crap.

chris_051, Jun 8, 10:26am
If you've got an underpowered diesel that kiwis seem to love then yeah autos aren't the best. One thing you won't get with an auto, driveline shock.

intrade, Jun 8, 11:14am
there was a fiat panda 4x4 on here a few month ago 2007 or something for like 12 grand however if i recall right. was new shape
like this
http://www.baltische-rundschau.eu/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fiat-panda-300x204.jpg

haventrader, May 22, 6:57pm
Yep, agree with the Jeep. Had mine for 3 years now with no issues. Never been stuck (but a few hairy moments). Sure, it's not light on juice, but I never bought it with that in mind. Also great to tow the boat, and currently makes a brilliant work truck! All for around $3k - can't go wrong.