Good towing vehicle suggestions? Again.

Page 2 / 2
skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:54am
Sorry dont understand what you mean by v8 dont have the staying power.

phillip.weston, Feb 28, 6:56am
The AU is live axle with coil springs, but the wagon and utes are leaf sprung.

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 28, 6:58am
Im guessing leaf springs are superior for towing! Better loading!

chris_051, Feb 28, 7:23am
Yep my EF leaf sprung wagon tows 2 tonne piece of piss, last major tow was 4 bikes akl-manfield track day-wgtn then back to auckland. Didn't miss a beat but like all petrols under a decent load it liked a drink. Just bypass the radiator, get a decent external trans cooler and be done with it. If you want a commodore with IRS save up for tyres cos they like to chew out the inside rears as they drag their arse along the ground.

dr.doolittle, Feb 28, 7:30am
I dont mean to sound rude to ya mate, but. you said you had a race car (I assume it's yours)& you dont know about suspension.

roys351, Feb 28, 7:39am
why ask when you will only entertain what you want to hear get what you want and then come back on here when it chits itself also if you are into motorsport and worried about a buget you are in the wrong sport .sport !

1fordluva, Feb 28, 7:51am
I am with you there fish,hey have a brand new 400cca battery here if you want it mate,may be able to flick you some good homekill steaks too lol

1fordluva, Feb 28, 7:58am
Sweet mate,yeah can do sat night,how many steaks you want! lol

roys351, Feb 28, 7:59am
xd xe xf ute you can get away from chit from your mate(s) by pointing out that holden did not make any 6 or 8 cyl utes all thru those models well nothing that wasent already old

im_andrew, Feb 28, 8:10am
Through the 90s only the higher models of commodores got IRS, So if you are only looking at executive/S/SS models you will more than likely get live axle and coil springs.

The IRS squatting issue was fixed at the start of the VX model run, I believe, with a toe controll link added to the rear suspension.

twink19, Feb 28, 8:18am
yes leaf spring, been looking for another, bit hard to find now

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 2, 5:38am
How about a jeep grand cherokee! Will they be a good tow vehicle! Anything to look out for! Or should I just steer clear!

tuttyclan, Mar 2, 7:35am
I think you going to find it hard to tow 1700 plus kg and use less than $40 worth 20 litres of fuel in 100km .

r15, Mar 2, 10:19am
find an early 90s 2.8 hiace diesel with not too much rust. its not going to be fast, but will get you there and back and be capable of the load

chris_051, Mar 2, 10:53am
Nothing wrong with them, Electrics can give a few problems now they are getting on with age, and high mileage diffs may be noisey, but overall pretty good, bullet proof drivetrain and reasonably cheap, but despite the lower towing weight, I'd still take a Falcon over one for everything except off road which speaks for itself. Look around you'll be able to find and E series Falcon or VN-VS wagons for under 2 grand, best value for money.

air.rowcj, Mar 2, 10:58am
Transmission oil cooler is good on what ever vehicle you get

big.b-lil.c, Mar 2, 7:42pm
if i was you (a holden lover) i would look at tuttyclan's suggestions in post 45 and 46, the manual vn could be just what you need. like i said in your last thread, don't over load the tow bar most only have a down load of around 50-100kg the reason commies flog out the rear tires is they have 25deg negative camber when overloaded. the other reason not to overload the back is it under loads the front reducing braking and steering it all so raises the headlights and dazzles on coming drivers. i assume the boot will be full of tools parts lunch etc further loading the rear. im glad you decided to go with a tandem braked trailer they tow better/safer than a single axle.
ps i don't relay have a clue how much neg camber a commie rear end has when over loaded

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 2, 9:06pm
Cheers for all the comments guys. Sick of you biker_69, no need for your crap comments. Your just a rebel without a cause eh.

Am looking at a vr berlina auto in the next day or two. Has a rebuilt trans, and new brakes. So just slap on a big trans cooler and see how it goes. Its cheap enough that if it wont do the job well enough I can sell quickly and start looking again.

Big B - Hopefully with a tandem trailer it will help to keep a lot of the weight off the towbar. Worse comes to worse and I like the car too much I could look into stiffer shocks and springs in the rear too.

elect70, Mar 2, 11:28pm
Jeez biker how do you get away with all these vehicles & no WOF s Reg or drivers license .I believe in murphys law & wont even put 1 on the road without it & 3rd party . Like my boat , didnt renew insurance as taking it out for last timebefore sale .Motor died & it wound up on the rockswrite off. Cops always seem to have checkpointswhere im going too .

graham32, Mar 3, 7:55am
After having a VR berlina now have an 1999 AU fairmont wagon and would never go back to a holden.far better car.its for sale if your interested.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 4, 1:01am
Anything wrong with a ford fairmont AU sedan! Understand they are still live axle not LSD. Will they tow well or do I really have to get a wagon

3tomany, Jun 12, 6:41pm
good car some electrical dramas but parts are cheap now. fairmont ghia has irs fairmont has beam axle ask mellisa2000 aka fish for more info he cut his teeth on those things