Ok guys I need a new car suggestions please.

Page 1 / 2
chakendrick, Nov 4, 10:45pm
My history is that I have owned a Nissan Patrol, Terrano and Chev Blazer over the last 15 or so years. I always buy larger vehicles for many reasons that suit me and I try to buy low mileage and around 5 years old and spend $15000 or thereabouts, maybe a bit more.
I love the Blazer (sick I know but it has been a great car) but need to update before it costs too much.
Not too many of the cars in that price range excite sadly.
What is a good 4WD larger vehicle to buy in that price range and which brand should I avoid! Talking to a lady owner here who will refer to Dog and Lemon guide but I need to know where to start.

chakendrick, Nov 5, 1:13am
Thank you Scotty.
How are Ford Escapes rated!
Are they a vehicle to be considered!

drew2009, Nov 5, 1:20am
They aren't to bad comfort wise but the 2Litre ones are a bit underpowered.
Would be ok if you don't have to tow much. Not sure about reliability.
They're a bit like a poverty pack Ford Territory.
You would be way better off with a Territory and you should be able to find one for that price range or slightly more.

bellky, Nov 5, 1:33am
looks nice in silver - is 142,300km too high!

chakendrick, Nov 5, 1:43am
Yeah, thank you for your answers, looking to get one with way less than 100,000km on the dial.
What about the 3litre Escape!

msigg, Nov 5, 1:49am
The dog and lemon guide is a rough guide and worth looking at. Looking at the ford escape, they are alot smaller than your used to. Toyota, Nissan, hyundai , VW maybe, we know the first two are good. take some for a drive from a dealer and ask them questions, see if there are any conflicting information. Good luck.

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 1:56am
The Escape is quite small - you're probably better off in a Territory.

I wouldn't worry about mileage so much, it doesn't tell you much about the condition of the vehicle

bellky, Nov 5, 2:09am
that's nicer - i like the interior and it's nz new

richardmayes, Nov 5, 2:15am
Ford Territories are nice if you want a big comfortable on-road SUV. Especially the Ghia spec one. Only quibble is the back axle ride seems a little bit harsh (in my opinion) for something that is supposed to be a fairly luxurious SUV built for open-road touring, but all in all it's a pretty nice car.

You need to keep on top of the maintenance with these things though - my boss didn't get many of the regular service checks done on his one, and it was full of noises and vibrations after a couple of years. Some of the noises were flogged suspension bushes, some of the other noises were a flogged diff.

[But then, HIS boss bought one at about the same time for his wife to drive, and they have had no problems at all with theirs. It's almost as though. the maintenance schedule was written for a reason! ]

chakendrick, Nov 5, 2:19am
If you can come up with something that is a later model I would be happy to give you a call.

chakendrick, Nov 5, 2:22am
As for colour guys, while I am a woman, colour is not the most important thing to me. It is important because I live in Tauranga and getting into an oven in summer is not pleasant so black, dark green, dark red, dark blue all not desirable although I love the colours. Yellow or orange are out because they are ugly. Silver, tan or gold is good, but it really is not a deal breaker.

carstauranga001, Nov 5, 2:26am
Sorry nothing at present as I'm more into cars, hatches and wagons. I buy a few 4wd's but selectively so when this one came up at 20,000 km's I grabbed it. Just run in regardless of age. If you want to bring anything in to get a second opinion feel free. Don't buy anything off here unless fully checked out first. Cheers and good luck.

chakendrick, Nov 5, 2:37am
Thank you. I always get an AA check. Money well spent.

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 2:39am
That one isn't a 4wd though. At that point you're far better off with a Mazda 6 wagon or similar

carstauranga001, Nov 5, 2:42am
Good point, meant that style of vehicle but should've been clearer. Cheers.

chakendrick, Nov 5, 3:54am
How do Missan Muranos rate please!

bellky, Nov 5, 3:56am
it's nissan and you're clutching at straws now - buy the mazda.

vtecintegra, Nov 5, 3:58am
They're a tall car rather than an SUV.

They rate well but will be thirsty.

drew2009, Nov 5, 4:13am
That mazda carstauranga001 had is a good buy. I reckon you should have a look and give it a chance.

chakendrick, Nov 5, 4:17am
Oops yeah Nissan.
The Mazda is a 2002. I am trying to go later model than that. While I know it is very low km, my preference is for a newer vehicle.

richard198, Nov 5, 7:00am
What did you think of the Jeep!

carstauranga001, Nov 5, 7:38am
American rubbish, bloody unreliable.

carstauranga001, Nov 5, 7:39am
$15,000 !I'll take 5 please.

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 7:47am
They are actually very nice vehicles, but thirstier than the 4 litre, '94-'98 models.

richard198, Nov 5, 9:18am
I wasn't asking you.
I thought since I'd gone to the trouble to find something the OP had asked for, she might at least comment!

Edit: As I said; some people like them. I wouldn't go near one.
But then I wouldn't go near a Ford/Mazda either unless it was an MX5.