Automatic service or flush?

shaun16, Mar 4, 2:25am
got a 91 primera (sr20de) and the auto is well overdue to be serviced. should i get it serviced or flushed! whats the actual difference! a service gets a filter change and some fluid changed! flush gets flushed and all new fluid but no filter!

budgel, Mar 4, 3:52am
I think it would be best to ask whoever you have in mind to do the job.

cuda.340, Mar 4, 4:19am
a service SHOULD include new fluid, filter AND bands tightened.

intrade, Mar 4, 6:26am
you need to get the sump of the trans off and the filter changed before it gets flushed. nissan have not got good transmissions and need servicing correctly on time or they crap out fast.

shaun16, Mar 4, 7:13am
its done 220 000 k's so i dont think thats true

franc123, Jun 14, 3:12pm
A filter change is always a good idea, getting the pan off it and having a general look inside it for deposits on the magnets and filter can give a good indication as to how the trans as a whole is holding up.In some cases though changing these filters can be involved, or sometimes not possible as a service item, as are band adjustments, on most transmissons made in the last 15 years or so they don't have adjusters.The best thing to do is ask the service provider what you are getting for your money.Even if a "full service" was carried out the trans would still be flushed to an extent, draining and removing the pan on average only removes less than half of the total ATF in there unless your trans has a separately drainable torque converter, which is pretty rare.Anyone wanting to do a proper job would ensure that as much of the old oil was removed as possible and it appeared just like it does straight out of the container.Flushing via the external lines also checks that the radiator cooler isn't blocked either.