Motor bike question.

jezz43, Mar 3, 10:11pm
im looking at buying my first bike, i have ridden for a few year but am looking for something reliable and cheap to fix. my budget is around 3k at the moment, so i know im not looking at much.

i was looking into either:

yamaha TZR250
suzuki FXR150 or
honda VT250F

what would be best for riding comfortably and economy! im also quite tall and dont want to be slouched over the bike, any suggestions!

sifty, Mar 3, 10:12pm
yep, try some out, see what fits best. Simple.

bitsy_boffin, Mar 3, 10:40pm
TZR is a 250cc 2 stroke, I wouldn't, at least not for your first bike.

FXR is a 150. I wouldn't personally, but not the end of the world if you like the bike.

VT250F is a good bike, but for $3000 you could easily get a Spada or VTZ250 which superceeded the VT250F.

jezz43, Mar 3, 10:49pm
well the VT250F i was looking at was an 88, and has a spada engine transplanted into it. doesnt appear to be too bad either

i-n-horz, Mar 4, 4:43am
You've been riding for a few years.are you fully licensed,restricted or L plate! being tall you'll need the leg room that usually comes with the bigger cruiser,street or dual purpose bikes also depending on the saddle hours your going to put in at any one time.

a65, Mar 4, 5:37am
try bandit 250 gsf i think they are called about 50bhp good little bike for a 250 partners got one and will sit with us at 100 to 120 kph all day 4 cylinder spark plugs a bit of a pain to change but over all goodbang for your buck for a 250cc.

jezz43, Mar 4, 8:01am
yes a few years riding, but its been mainly on a old suzuki bag of crap. derego'd farm bike thing. ive ridden a FXR150 before and i didnt mind it too much. it will be used as a commuter to work etc, nothing long. as for my licence, im about to sit learners.

bexx13, Mar 4, 8:14am
Hayabusa mate definately the way to go.

hi_lemon, Mar 4, 8:20am
I used to own an FXR150; fun little pocket rocket but I was bored after a few months. Upgraded to a Spada VT250 (40hp) which I've had for 15months now and have loved every bit of it. Its Vtwin engine has a lot more low-end power than 4 cylinder bikes like the gsxr, cbr, fzr, zeal hornet, bandit (45hp) which makes it more enjoyable especially on the twisties

Being tall you would definitely be more comfortable on the VT250 than the FXR, but if you find the VT250 too small you could request an exemption which will allow you to ride certain bikes up to 500cc on your learners.

jezz43, Mar 4, 8:34am
you have obviously read nothing in the thread, but thanks for your sarcasm, you may be excused, go back to your cave.

i didnt know about the exemptions, il look into that, im just a bit over 6 foot, i looked at a few VT250s also, they look like a dirt bike, or am i looking at something different! i kinda had my heart set on a sporty looking bike, but im happy to settle for practicality

hi_lemon, Mar 4, 10:08am
If you check out kiwibiker.co.nz there's a few threads about how to get an exemption, usually you need a photo on a bike to prove you're too big for a 250, however these exemptions are aparently rare - but not uncommon.
Yes VT250s do look quite dated, spada has its own style which looks much better. For comfortability, you may find both the VT250 and sport bikes too small, but the sport bikes also have lower handlebars which puts a lot of stress on your wrists making it somewhat uncomfortable.
If you could stretch your budget, the Hyosung GT250R or Comet has a larger frame than the others which is something to consider.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/135161

doug207, Jun 15, 6:44pm
I would recommended a VT250j Spada as a cheap and reliable bike, I used one as a commuter for three and a half years and put 120,000km on it. Only real problem I had was the fuel tap crapping out, thankfully these are a common Honda product.
Find another 250 that's still running good at 150,000km.