Imported Korean oil filters

billyfieldman, Mar 4, 7:00am
Hi,
I was driving past view rd, glenfield and came across a sign board $55 for engine oil and filter change. Went in to make enquiries. They are using 10w30 engine oil and filter imported from Korea.Can't read Korean so don't know the brand. The shop said the oil is synthetic and the filter is better than Ryco. Anyone tried Korean oil and filter before!

franc123, Mar 4, 7:15am
given that this oil changing is being done at less than the normal retail that 4L of fully synthetic oil would cost you would have to question the quality of the materials being used.How they are making money out of that is anyones guess.

moosie_21, Mar 4, 7:21am
+1. The "Fully Synthetic" oil is probably just a blend of synthetic and mineral, just like Magnatec and the vast majority of others. Legal loopholes allow them to market it this way. Go check out the price of REAL synthetic oil and then you'll know what we're talking about.

bjdw, Mar 4, 7:38am
The OP doesn't say it is synthetic oil.Most off the shelf 10w30 oils I have seen are mineral based with synthetic additives.

Oops, just re read the OP. It does say sunthetic. My bad!

moosie_21, Mar 4, 7:41am
How much is it a barrel when you buy it like that! Enough to justify charging a price like that (including the filter, labour, overheads etc.)!

bjdw, Mar 4, 7:47am
I don't think most workshops would invest in a barrel of synthetic unless they specialized in high end cars.They would normally buy it by the bottle as they needed it.

moosie_21, Mar 4, 7:47am
Yeah, most synthetics are 5W-40, 0W-60 etc. Hence why I thought 10W-30 didn't look right for a fully synthetic oil.

You are forgiven!

carmedic, Mar 4, 9:15am
200 litres 15w40 sm/cf mineral oil approx $700.
I hate to think what a barrel of fully synthetic would cost. Semi-synthetic 10w30 or 10w40 is normally around $1000 mark.
The average cheap filter can be bought at $4ish, $55 is a lost leader.

richms, Mar 4, 12:04pm
They get you in the door for other things to be done, they probably put their sticker on the back of the car, they get your details to send you warrant reminders with discounts etc.

Chances are the workshop will have the car all day and just do it when the hoist is free for a moment as it is not exactly a timeconsuming activity.

billyfieldman, Mar 5, 6:16am
Maybe to the Korean owner of the garage, synthetic/semi-synthetic is just synthetic. Too bad don't know the brand, otherwise can google for specifications.I'm sure Korea must produce some quality oil that Korean car makers such as Hyundai, Kia and Daewoo use.

bjdw, Mar 5, 6:56am
That is very cheap!I work for a fairly big company that sells a lot of oil and I'm pretty sure we can't get it for that.

bjdw, Jun 16, 10:53pm
And better than Ryco! Ryco filters are guaranteed to meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. It's a written guarantee.Can they provide the same guarantee for their cheap filters! I doubt it.