V8 mk3 cortina

Page 1 / 2
ramdogg, Jan 14, 9:53pm
Im wanting to put a v8 into my mk3 cortina.,wondering what the best motor and how hard would it be,was told to go chev.!

budgel, Jan 14, 9:58pm
You have too much time on your hands!

Consider a toyota V8, I think they are lighter.

ramdogg, Jan 14, 10:02pm
ok was told rover v8 maybe a good option as they are light aswell.

unbeatabull, Jan 14, 10:05pm
Rover V8 are good if you just want a V8, if you want power to boot as well the Toyota V8 better option.

If you want to keep it a Ford a 289 Windsor would be best choice.

akaniva, Jan 14, 10:06pm
Ford small blocks are significantly lighter than the Chevs and would also keep it all Ford. I remember seeing a few V8 Mk II's around and also the V6 Savage ones.

brokebloke1, Jan 14, 10:17pm
x1
go with the 302 windsor V8, im looking at putting one into my MK1 Capri,
these were factory fitted in South Africa, you can get all the bits and pieces from oz to put a 302 int to a Mk3-4 or 5 Cortina.

poppajn, Jan 14, 10:19pm
Had a 289 in a Mark 1 Cortina years ago

nonameleft, Jan 14, 10:32pm
there was couple mk 4s around here years ago. one 350 chev the other 308 holden. smthing to do with sump getn in way of steering rack is why holden or chev. and fords suck anyway

trogedon, Jan 14, 10:34pm
Just DON'T DO IT.

mugenb20b, Jan 14, 10:36pm
There are benefits to your advice, but I think that OP wants to have a car that's a little bit more exciting to drive than a photo copier.

electro2000, Jan 14, 11:19pm
had a 302c in mk2 20 years ago when i was 18
pretty good conversion you got to butcher the trans tunnel a bit.
not sure what the diff was in mine think it could have been zepher. front end had beefed up chassis rails and custom x member .It still had standard fount brakes I changed them to p76 struts and falcon discs. not sure what the gear bag was buthad a floor change conversion on it , may have been zepher as well -engine had a conversion plate on it.

went well ,spent most of the time doing skids till the local bobby literally gave me a boot up the arse

detroitauto, Jan 15, 2:34am
and fords suck anyway[/quote]

and i bet you wear a holden jacket and hat and drive a mitsubishi

ninja_man, Jan 15, 2:38am
if it was me i would put a 2jz in there

friendly_prawn, Jan 15, 2:50am
P76
A lot more peppy than a Rover. Very basic carbed engine so easy to work on. No efi to worry bout. Cheap easy and quick solution.
But if your looking to add real HP then as some one above said. Toyota v8 would be the way to go.

elect70, Jan 15, 3:04am
Get a ex rangie/ disco4l v8farlighter than than old carbedfords or GMs . Less work to do on suspension& brakes to get compliance .(including emissions )Easy to fix , partsare plentiful& cheap.& it wont wind uphandling like a pig in a wallow .

quickstitch, Jan 15, 3:27am
windsor or chev. i would go windsor. You will need a new sump and pick-up. A bronco one will work but i would splash out on a High energy pan. An Aussie 6 cylinder diff wil work fine and keep it four stud but again i would go five stud all round, falcon brakes. either a nine inch diff or a Borg warner.

socram, Jan 15, 3:33am
It all depends what you want from it.Power! Value for money! Racing/Targa! Tow car! Ease of maintenance!Your own ability!Your choice.

beblowin, Jan 15, 3:47am
we had a 302 in 1 years ago as a paddock racer and itripped out the rear trailing arms from the chassis, so dont forget to strenghten it up.

bellky, Jan 15, 3:52am
it's an old school ford. put an old school ford motor in it

paul271, Jan 15, 6:33am
Or buy my car ;-)

By far the cheapest and easiest way to do it. If you wanted to keep the MK3, all the stuff would transfer over.

sifty, Jan 15, 6:40am
yep, great advice, otherwise you end up with a bit of a mongrel that won't appeal to either camp when selling it.

cowboy110, Jan 15, 6:54am
Geez the rotary boys are a bit slow getting in on this one.They got a picnic on somewhere today!Ok I'll start them off.Stick a rotor in it boi.Then it'll do real gud skidz.brap brap brap

the_don_61, Jan 15, 6:55am
All V8 cortinas crack on the body on the bottom corners of the front window.Even V6 mk1-mk2's.
Mk3-5 diff housing mounts brake at the top by the diff head.they brake faster with a V8."Only use factory rubber bushs at top mounts on diff"

adambrb, Jan 15, 9:54am
i had a mark 4 ozzy cortina few years back with p76 4.4ltre layland motor.motor was all alloy with w55 5spd supra box,4.1 ozzy cortina diff.it went hard!i still have that diff come to think of it.

mk3crazy, Jan 15, 10:40am
Keep it all ford and fit a 302 Windsor and C4 with ozzy 6 cylinder diff.