VH41 V8 QUAD CAM NISSAN ENGINE

Page 1 / 2
k_dubb69, Jan 15, 10:15am
Just wondering if a sr20de gearbox would fit on this, looking at doing a conversion but want it to be manual. Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 15, 11:34am
Wouldn't you be better off buying a Toyota supra box and making an adapter plate for that! If I remember right the r series boxes are quite strong , they make a Toyota r series box that's almost the same for their dyna trucks

k_dubb69, Jan 15, 12:44pm
cheers mate thanks for that, but if i were to get a toyota supra gearbox wouldnt i just be better to get this enigne instead 2JZ-GTE JZS147 Aristo V, or dont you think it would make a difference, thanks

1ollie, Jan 15, 1:08pm
There is no manual gearbox that bolts strait up you will need to adapt something elce to it.
Huge question really with using a VH41DE or 2JZ-GTE as it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle, what the vehicle is, what power you want and what your budget is etc etc!

the_don_61, Jan 15, 9:53pm
Rumor in the USA is the 300ZX Twin Turbo 5 speed is the one to use.
Engine code VG30DETT. very hard to find as most are autos.
When looking for V8 nissan stuff in the USA dont look for Nissan.They are called Infiniti's.

anyway the VH41DE auto can be driven like a manual and they love it.
they change gear way faster than you can clutch and change gear.

the_don_61, Jan 15, 9:57pm
toyota V8 weighs less than the nissan, but the nissan rev's harder.
Vh41deis far better than the old Vh45de .the 45 has a single row timming chain, the 41 has a twin row.
If you go VH45DE make sure its newer than 1995. as I think the later ones have the twin row chain, but the 1990-95 doesnt.
All VH41de's are twin row.

the_don_61, Jan 15, 10:15pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=QOKsRvzvofA&feature=fvwrel

heaps of 5 speed V8 nissan powered stuff on youtube.

V8nissan.com

bubbles244, Jan 16, 1:24am
bang on there, sold with stick shift in the states, there was a manual one floating around wanganui a few years ago too.

frytime, Jan 16, 5:32am
the_don_61 wrote:
Rumor in the USA is the 300ZX Twin Turbo 5 speed is the one to use.
Engine code VG30DETT. very hard to find as most are autos.
quote]

the box out of the z32 doesnt bolt up, i've had to get adptor made between the z32 box and vh41.

there is a place in lower hutt (howat enginering) that cuts bolt pattern off the vh auto and welds to new box, was $400 but couldn't find auto.

adaptor was about $200.

good luck 4 your project

k_dubb69, Jan 16, 11:56am
Yeah i know i will have to make an adapter plate for it to fit, was just wondering if an sr20de gearbox would be good for it. At the moment just want to use the car as my weekend driver and have something a little bit different than the norm sr20det or rb20/25det etc, but who knows what the future may bring, the car is a 1994 silvia qs factory sr20de engine and manual gearbox with a 180sx facelift conversion, adjustables, 18" rims etc. Budget around 5k, thanks

k_dubb69, Jan 16, 12:06pm
the box out of the z32 doesnt bolt up, i've had to get adptor made between the z32 box and vh41.

there is a place in lower hutt (howat enginering) that cuts bolt pattern off the vh auto and welds to new box, was $400 but couldn't find auto.

adaptor was about $200.

good luck 4 your project[/quote]

So if the z32 gearbox doesnt bolt up without an adapter plate wouldn't i just be better to use the sr20de gearbox that i already have and just get an adapter plate made for that (if i can find somewhere/someone to do it lol), thanks mate it should be quite fun =)

fordcrzy, Jan 16, 6:18pm
why not use a ffalcon or commy 5 speed if you are going to make an adaptor late up!

falcon15, Jan 16, 9:53pm
im not sure how well the sr20de gearbox will hold up behind the vh41 the 300zx gearbox and clutch setup is a better option if your going to do burnouts ect. Im not sure about the s14 but frytime has his fitted in a 300zx and there is alot of sump modifying to get the engine low enough and far enough back to fit a radiator. The steering rack is what gets in the way because the vh41 normally has the rack right at the back of the motor not half way along

1ollie, Jan 16, 10:15pm
Not sure if your trying to say that any of the VH's came out manual! or that theres a manual that bolts up! because they never did! 300ZX boxes do not bolt up but they are widely used in the US due to the fact they are strong and pretty easyly found.

1ollie, Jan 16, 10:16pm
What! 300ZX's were sold all around the world with manual transmission but VH41/45DE's were not.

1ollie, Jan 16, 10:31pm
Because theres better options that suit this better out there

the_don_61, Jan 16, 11:50pm
Just ring a holden dealer and buy a new 6 speed. about $5000 buckaruninees .
Nissan v8's are sold all over the world.
LOL they are drift cars in some arab countrys.

Here you go.
http://datsunzgarage.com/borg/

NISSAN FS5R90A 5-SPEED (Borg-Warner T5)
1982-83 280ZX turbo & 1984-86 300ZX turbo

This the the gearbox they use for V8 conversions.

I have a 82-83 280ZXT 5 speed in the shed.:-)

the_don_61, Jan 16, 11:52pm
Falcon 5 speed is a T5 !.

1ollie, Jan 17, 12:29am
Yes its allready been said they are sold all over the world but NOT IN MANUAL! The Arabs drift FWD Camrys lol whats that got to do with anything!
And you actualy all mixed up anyway the S130 280ZXT's run either a FS5W71C Nissan box which is a weak stumpy box and some of them(Mostly US market) run the even weaker horrible Borg Warner T5 which Nissan Labeled as a FS5R90A and then the Z31 300ZX's mostly ran the same stumpy FS5W71C and some of the later ones ran the newer 'big box' being the FS5R30A which the Z32 uses.
No one uses the early boxs as they are weak you use the FS5R30A from a Z32 and if ya dont beleive me well just do some research!
Probably still the best bet is to use a FS6R31A from a Z33 350Z as they are reasonably priced, are as strong as the rest and are 6 speed for that wank factor lol.

1ollie, Jan 17, 12:32am
Probably a Borg Warner T5 and the Commodores run a GM T5 or T6 or T56 depending on the year

fordcrzy, Jan 17, 8:21am
yes.thats why i suggested it.
the falcon/mustang t5 and t56 use a shorter gearbox casing than the chev spec ones so is easier to get into smaller cars

1ollie, Jan 17, 11:04am
Hahaha ohh mate its not is it!. lol I just may have clicked on who the_don_61 is! Is that you maldat! Malcom the bicycle guy, that has small spurts of genuine knowlege once in a while, but that normaly spins out semi relivent yet quite inccorect and misleading info normaly! lol sorry

wrong2, Jan 17, 11:09am
postedby a magazine tugger

1ollie, Jan 17, 11:15am
Have you got a point boy! or are you just attempting an amiture troll!

k_dubb69, Jan 18, 12:21am
haha cheers for all the help guys its been very interesting and knowledgeable, i think for now i might just put a rb25det in it and make an adapter plate to keep the sr20de gearbox, as it has only done around 80,000kms. The v8 conversion just seems like alot of valuable time and money which i seem to be lacking at the moment lol.
Wrong2 you can go try troll somewhere else, comments like that are not needed or wanted here, to everyone else, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out much appreciated =)