Valve Clearances

Page 2 / 2
ginga4lyfe, Mar 6, 9:53am
Cool, Ill keep your user name on a short list of parts People :) and yeah I tried to look for the Auckland triumph club, but i cant find were to sign up ( and im a computer technician. Go figure. )

Oh wait. I guess you ment to sign up at the Forums there!, Yeah I just done that

tractor9, Mar 6, 10:00am
ginga4lyfe wrote:
Cool, Ill keep your user name on a short list of parts People :) and yeah I tried to look for the Auckland triumph club, but i cant find were to sign up ( and im a computer technician. Go figure. )
Txt your number to 0 two seven three five six o nine five two and I'll try and sort it for you.

ginga4lyfe, Mar 6, 10:03am
Haha, No credit atm, I signed up anyways, though conspicuously I just got a Text from 0278491366, and i have noo clue who it is. hahaha

tractor9, Mar 6, 10:06am
oh well, when you get credit txt anyway. We have plenty you can join in with, rallies, shows, swapmeets etc.

keith18, Mar 6, 1:56pm
just remember it IS ONLY a tryumph, i wouldnt waste any more oil on it .

jrlaw, Mar 6, 8:20pm
Seem to remember Triumphs being short of oil up to the rocker gear,Anyone confirm that.

ema1, Mar 6, 8:53pm
Yes I have seen that problem jrl, plus on the automatic ones they can drop crank thrust washers into the sump too once they have excessive wear, oil pressure takes a dramatic dive when this happens.
It seems for some reason that I've seen it more on automatics than manuals!
The thrust washers in em are I recall only 180deg or only half circle and are right at the back of the crank.

tractor9, Mar 6, 9:56pm
Yep. You can get a oil feed pipe and fit it from (I think) the oil pressure switch to the back of the head . Rimmers UK supply them

intrade, Mar 6, 10:15pm
0.01 can never be that is 1 hundrets of a unit 0.25 is more likely correct especially if it is from autodata. mesuremnt is metric so use metric fealer gague for 0.25 not imperial

intrade, Mar 6, 10:20pm
0.25 Millimetre(s) = 0.0098425197
makes both answers correct only 0.01 is inches and . youwell better off to use metric then the confusing pome crap.thou or what ever the hell they call it on there fealer gagues .

pfemstn, Mar 6, 11:21pm
valve clearance 10 thou as stated however rocker shaft wear is common!.dont put good rockers on a warn shaft,p[i head will go straight on , will give 9.5 compression but need pi pushrods as well,[ head is quarter inch thinner]

richardmayes, Mar 7, 2:42am
0.010" to 0.012".

If in doubt, leave a little too much clearance rather than not quite enough, a tappy motor is a happy motor!

ginga4lyfe, Mar 7, 2:50am
Cool, I set them earlyer, they didnt need much adjusting, But I have found that the head is caked in crud and old oil that I can scrape off with a flat head, the old oil has really been sitting for too long, so Now i need a new Rocker cover gasket, and lots more degreaser and flush, and I think ill start looking for a second hand engine, im not liking the way this one now looks :(

mrfxit, Jun 25, 2:04am
I used to reface the rockers by hand on a lot of english cars.
Most of them suffer from the same problem of valve end recess in to the rocker face

Typicly they would wear off center on an edge
I used to reface them to suit each rockers own level wear marks & they would last a lot longer.
Also need to watch for rocker shaft wear where the rocker arms fit.
Oh yea & the ends of the push rods gradually gain "nipples"that need topping off