Occasionally the starter doesn't engage

bjdw, Mar 7, 9:36am
and grinds a bit.Someone told me it's more likely that the teeth on the ring gear are worn than the ones on the starter, so changing the starter won't fix it. True!

neryl1, Mar 7, 9:42am
id think it would more likely be the starter id change it with a 2nd hand one i think most cars interchange or just park on a hill with no cars in front

jmma, Mar 7, 9:44am
What colour is the starter

bjdw, Mar 7, 9:46am
Dunno. I assume it's the original Nissan one.

franc123, Mar 7, 9:47am
Until you remove the starter and examine the ring gear and pinion teeth, you can't know that for sure.If it's a manual car often the starter shaft where the pinion slides up and down can fill up with a lot of clutch dust and metal debris over time which can make it stick.Have a close look at this first, make sure also that their isn't any voltage drop in the starter feed and ground circuits, and also that the solenoid is getting full voltage from the ignition switch, or relay as the case may be.

bjdw, Mar 7, 9:49am
It is manual, so maybe I'll pull it out and see if it needs a clean.

dvince, Mar 7, 9:50am
Errr maybe starter not engaging properly! I have little knowledge lol
Get an auto electrician to have a look, im sure it just needs replacing/recon.

r15, Mar 7, 11:01am
how do i rename my bjdw !

bjdw, Mar 7, 11:28am
huh!

elect70, Mar 8, 1:49am
also if rear bush is worn causes armature to contact the poles .Turn engine over (by hand )& examine the ring gear teeth .Put white paint on the start so you know when its turned full circle .Thats assuming looking through the starter hole .If Okget auto spark to recon the starter if possible, lot ofthe jap stuff is throw away .

robertsons-nes, Mar 8, 7:17am
yeh like the sparkie saying a rough quote be a easy $250.00 + gst and then got upset when i said "yeh vs $235.00 incl gst x repco" so shop around

dvince, Mar 8, 7:24am
Yes I was tired.
Was my advice bad tho! Huh!

bjdw, Mar 8, 7:58am
I get a pretty good discount, a new one will cost me about $50.

bigfatmat1, Mar 8, 8:15am
Repco sell crap quality units oex. you get what ya pay for.

carkitter, Mar 8, 8:36am
Uh. solenoid contacts! That's where I'd start.

bjdw, Jun 30, 11:00am
It's an 18 year old Nissan Sentra. Parts that are handcrafted by highly skilled German engineers out of carbon fibre and titanium are not required.