5.7 ltr chev engine

skippy33, Jan 20, 2:42am
hi all,what year did holden start using the 5.7 ltr in the commodores,mate at work(yes him again)says his mate has a, think it a 96 or 97 commie with a 5.7 ltr and he says it the only one in nz with a 5.7,think he talking out a hole in his arse.

sue344, Jan 20, 2:48am
96/97 was vs i think which was usually the 5litre

hi-ling, Jan 20, 2:53am
It was the VT series 2 that was the first to come with the LS1 chev motor, introduced in 1999

hi-ling, Jan 20, 2:55am
But the Earlier HSV's came with an option of a stroked Holden motor which also made them a 5.7, but was a Holden and not the Chev motor

skippy33, Jan 20, 3:47am
i dont think he meant it was in there from factory,he seems to think it the only one in nz with a 5.7,im sure someone out there has put one in a commodore of same year

detroitauto, Jan 20, 4:25am
VS GTSR had 5.7

dave653, Jan 20, 4:27am
Jeez, do you know how many 350's were made! No, I don't either, but must have been thousands!

hi-ling, Jan 20, 4:34am
yep but was the stroked Holden motor

guider1, Jan 20, 4:47am
VR/VS Senator & GTS were 5.7L but a stroked Holden. VT2 is where the LS1 was introduced. If it has been repowered with an LS1 (which is the only way it would/could have a 5.7L Chev in it) then maybe it is but I would doubt it. There are VP's & VK's with LS1's in them here so I would doubt his is the only VR or VS.

owene, Jan 20, 4:48am
So will the 350SB from way back fit straight into all Holdens - are they physically the same bellhousings, engine mounts etc!

patiki1, Jan 20, 6:28am
No,commodores are a bit harder.

guider1, Jan 20, 6:54am
There is a special kit to fit them; headers, sump & pickup, engine mounts & adapters, suspension spacers & steering spacer plus the starter needs to be relocated to the passenger side where the oil filter is which means a special mounting block is used. Not the best of repowers as the engine sits quite high. Better off fitting an LS1 or stroking the Holden motor.

owene, Jan 20, 8:00am
Ah OK, I was actually thinking of the feasability of repowering a vehicle currently running a 350SB with a decent Holden equivalent. But maybe not!

bigjerry, Jan 21, 1:34am
Your mates got his hand on it. Anyone who claims to have the 'only one in NZ' when they are talkin about a vs commy is havin a tug. Why! Because how the hell would he know! Tell him he's dreaming mate.

magicmat, Jan 21, 1:41am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Special_Vehicles

Bit of reading matter to go with that.

owene, Jan 21, 7:06am
bigjerry - you just get on with your earthquake work and stop worrying about commies.

pge, Jan 21, 9:41am
Considering there were more than 90 million small-blocks made (still being made in Mexico), and the 350 USA-made from 1967 to 2003, I would guesstimate more than 50 million .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine

dave653, Jan 22, 6:05am
Yeah. sarcasm rules in this house!

bigjerry, Jan 22, 7:07am
haha. yeah but i love the commodores mate.