Oldest cambelt?

Page 2 / 2
neryl1, Mar 13, 7:29am
Had 2 cambelts snap mk5 cortina just accelerating at lights no damage to engine about 270000 km and a telstar going slow up a hill no damage to engine probly about same milage both original belts about 15 years old.

trouser, Mar 13, 7:33am
Those same people will be comforting the twinspark alfa owners whose belt snapped well before the factory change schedule.

bjdw, Mar 13, 7:35am
Had a cambelt break on the motorway in the fast lane.Luck there was an emergency shoulder on the inside (which ended about 50 metres from where I stopped). Cops stopped all the traffic and pushed us off the next off ramp.

xs1100, Mar 13, 7:36am
to the OP theres always an exception to the rule and the rule as explained to me by a gates belt manufacturing sales rep is rule of thumb 100-130ks change a cambeltand really for the expense vs doing a motor rebuild really so long as your boss dosent complain when the time comes not really a problem

franc123, Mar 13, 7:40am
Lol yeah probably, but thats a whole separate issue!

movnon, Mar 14, 8:49am
Theres crap & theres luck mate. My '85 corona dropped a belt at 90k (hadn't got around to replacing at recommended 80k. Only took an hour to rectify & (luckily!) no damage.Nothings changed, that was 30 years ago - belt life might be longer now due to better materials too!

a18a, Mar 14, 8:59am
Assuming he's a mechanic, then he wants you to drive it till it snaps, more work for him $$$

bjdw, Jul 18, 2:10am
A car that was built 26 years ago dropped a belt at 80k 30 years ago!Had the car perhaps had some modifications done by Dr. Emmett Brown!Maybe installing a flux capacitor somehow puts more strain on the belt!