Swap Nissan Pulsar for Mitsi Diamante?

pearl4, Jan 24, 3:50am
Okay, I know I'm entering the lion's den here but please be gentle. I'm a woman in my 40s and have no knowledgable males on hand to ask about things like this. I have my Pulsar listed to swap for a bigger car and have had an offer for a Mitsubishi Diamante 1995 2.5 (420198253).It will be used as a daily driver, mostly around town but the odd trip out of town. Before the Pulsar I had a Cefiro and loved it but got the Pulsar to save at the pumps. I do save on petrol costs but I absolutely hate driving such a little car. Any advice would be much appreciated. So what do you think!

vtecintegra, Jan 24, 3:54am
I'd say your Pulsar is worth more even with the highish mileage

There are tonnes of Diamantes (and similar cars) around and they're worth bugger all, whereas small economical cars like the Pulsar are selling for elevated pricing

pearl4, Jan 24, 4:00am
Really! I thought the kms would put people off mine actually. I see your point about Diamantes not being worth much, I just did a search and was quite surprised.

andy61, Jan 24, 4:02am
Avoid cars with 3 diamonds on the front.Run,run,run.You will regret getting a Diamante.

pearl4, Jan 24, 4:08am
Actually I've never owned a Mitsubishi before, I'm a bit of a fan of Nissans, and that's not because I know anything about them, I don't. It's purely because I've had 3 or 4 over the years and they've always been good to me. I'd go for another Nissan now but finding someone who wants to swap is difficult.

danni_2254, Jan 24, 4:15am
+1 for not getting a Diamante.

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 4:43am
Get a 2.2 litre or the later 2.4 litre Toyota Camry instead, but make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic. Much more reliable than any Diamante.

trdbzr, Jan 24, 4:46am
Don't get a Diamante. Why not get a Cefiro/Maxima/Camry instead!

phillip.weston, Jan 24, 5:01am
yeah I would probably join the group of people saying don't get a Diamante - purely for the fact that they are getting old now and will no doubt probably be expensive to maintain in years to come. If it were a modern Diamante before they were discontinued (ie early 2000s model) then it probably wouldn't be a bad car at all. The Australian assembled Diamantes sold new in NZ are not as complex as the used Jap import Diamantes which are the ones which gave them a bad reputation with problematic tiptronic transmissions and GDI engines.

Having said that I have a 21 year old 200,000+kms Mitsubishi with a turbocharger, four wheel drive and four wheel steering and it's proven to be reliable despite its complexity when first released.

pearl4, Jan 24, 5:58am
Okay, thanks everyone, I'll keep your advice in mind and won't go ahead with the Diamante. To the person who asked why I don't get a Cefiro, etc I'm hoping to swap and haven't come across any that want to downsize. I don't have the time or spare cash to buy before I sell the Pulsar, and need a car most days so can't sell then sit and wait for another one to come along. As much as I'd like to it's a no-go. Thanks to you all.

richardmayes, Jan 24, 8:20am
You've made a good choice (in staying away from the Diamante!)

I once had a lady friend who owned an import 2.5 litre Diamante. It was a nice car to drive when it was going, but it served up a never-ending menu of problems that always seemed to cost at least $1000 to put right. The gearbox made hideous noises when reversing, the climate control jammed at 34 degrees and the fan running at full power; there were mysterious water leaks into the cabin.

For a city girl with more money than sense, they are an ok car. Anyone of more modest means should be very afraid.

pearl4, Jan 24, 9:04am
Thanks for that Richard, it definitely sounds like I'd be potentially lining myself up for a load of troubles.and we can all do without that.