Help with Deciding whether to buy a Subaru Legacy

sandeepnair, Jan 24, 9:10am
Hello there, i need some help deciding whether or not to purchase a Subaru Legacy GT B4 2004, i am very smitten with this car as soon as i saw it at the dealers, however i was warned by a garage owner to stay away from subaru's if i can since they have a lot of issues in relation to gasket heads and always require maintenance hence have a higher cost to the pocket.

Is this true! Any subaru owners can give me any advice!

ryans, Jan 24, 9:27am
I've had my 1999 Legacy B4, twin turbo for almost 4 years.
It's eaten two alternators, but to be fair the first replacement was probably faulty from the beginning, when I got the second one they said it had a tag on there that looked like a certain West Auckland garage's tag and they have a bad reputation for their rebuilt alternators.
The tiptronic gearbox has trouble engaging drive at times, but once it's engaged you can go into reverse, park, drive, etc and it's all fine. $1600 for Winger to fix that, I've just lived with it for 4 years, as it's not a major problem.
Apart from that, I've had no problems.

sandeepnair, Jan 24, 10:07am
sweet bro, I'm really keen on getting the 2004 B4. Just don't want the faulty gasket head issue that i keep hearing about on the EJ25 series engines.

ceedoubleyou, Jan 25, 1:12am
Owned a 2000 RSKB4 for 6yrs without a single mechanical issue, mind you I only travelled 10k pa, traded it in on a 2006 3.0R Legacy.

jason18, Jan 25, 1:17am
Those later model ones are fine. It was the 2.5 subbies that had that issue. Im sure the later model ones are 3lt or 2lt turbo.

jason18, Jan 25, 1:18am
I have a 02 rsk for sale at moment. Would have loved to keep it but its just not big enough for the family! Goes very very well tho.

redmouse, Jan 25, 7:27am
Too thirsty by far, prone to front and rear main bearing leaks, expensive to repair so regular maintenence required, had 2 of them, a 2lt and a 2.5, wont go there again, but if your smitten you will probably buy it anyway.

jason18, Jan 25, 7:52am
Man mine is great on fuel. Dont thrash em and it wont be thirsty

paddyman, Jan 25, 7:56am
Probably pay to buy two or three and keep them for parts.

kazbanz, Jan 25, 10:06pm
sandee-I used to sell a LOT of2.0l,2.5l and 3.0l legacies both wagons and sedans.
They are a VERY nice vehicle to drive with solid road holding and when in factory form I feel a good spread of power
But heck youy want the negatives so here goes.
1) insurance is high and you WILL need an alarm to be fitted
2) nothing in life is free-that 4wd system and the power comes at a cost at the pump
3) YES you WILL need to replace the cam end seals and ROCKER cover gaskets between 80000km and 100000km or you will get an oil leak onto the exhaust causing smoke from the engine bay and the smell of a cooking engine.
ALL the 1.5-2.5l engines do this eventually. OR the owner did the seals before it happened.
In fairness --if you either insist that this job is done along with a replacement cambelt/idler bearing on purchaseor allow the $1000 to do the job when doing your figures.

jokerboss, Jan 26, 1:21am
my twin turbo GTB (2nd geb) has just clicked over 230 thousand km, motor has NEVER been out or apart, 'rocker' cover seals dont count :P

franc123, Jan 26, 6:30am
And that peeps is the key to happy Subaru ownership, drive gently, maintain it well, don't modify anything and make sure you upgrade at the right time and make expensive repairs the next owners problem.

electro2000, Jan 26, 8:15am
you will find fuel consumption pretty good on the post 2000mine gtb bloody good better then my old 2.5 na legacy9L/100 km cruising on open road 11 road town my GTBcost $456 a year to insure in contrast my diesel 4x4 cost me $384not a lot of difference.
Dont worry aboutto the haters or uneducatedif you want a careful cheap car buy your self a corrola.

I can be leave what jokerboss has said just retired one with 250k never been apart

electro2000, Jan 26, 8:18am
OP
the head gasket issue was mainly with the pre 2000 open deck block ej25 they resolved this with a steel head gasket
typically the head gasket issue mainly effected the none turbo engines was not common to see a turbo engine with a blown head gasket unless it was over heated

marmar1, Jan 26, 8:51am
You either like subbies or you dont and I have b4 99 turbo and would buy a 04 in a heartbeat

ord, Jan 26, 8:55am
Treat it well and maintain it regularly and it will treat you well. People that bag the relaibility and fuel consumption are hung up on the older models. Anything 2000 and newer is generally very good.

tazcsv, Jan 27, 2:54am
Agreed.
2002 gtb 170 tho ks never missed a beat.
average 550-600ks per tank.
Best driving car iv owned.

kaituna, Jan 27, 3:04am
My 1999 GTB Wagon has done 286000 km and never been apart. 2 timing belts only. Still goes well.

sandeepnair, Jan 27, 10:45am
wow, so many replies. sorry haven'tchecked the site for a week or so, thank you guys for giving feedback, i am definitely leaning towards getting the 2004 legacy.also looking at other cars just to go with the motion.cheers.not planning on modifying the legacy if i get it.looks stunning as it is.

nokiacellphone, Jan 27, 5:10pm
had 4 legacys all no dramas just the usual wear and tear,got a nice 04 right now goes great

moosie_21, Jan 27, 9:26pm
Drove a 2005 Forester STI once in the outback of Oz, God that was fun on dirt tracks!

meow_mix, Jan 28, 5:43am
To my knowledge there was no 2004 B4.The B4 and B4 RSK were built from 1998 - 2003.The Legacy range was updated in late '03 with the newer shape ('03-'09) Legacy.They changed the badging on the cars so the B4 RSK was renamed GT and the engine was different to the B4 RSK which was twinturbo, the GT just single turbo, but it was actually faster than the B4.

The B4 is a car plagued by various issues:Fuel gauges play up, primary turbos fail, big end bearings fail (expensive), head gaskets are known to be a problem.The next shape GT Legacy is probably a much more reliable car.

icemans1, Jan 28, 2:08pm
got plenty of spare money! get a subaru!

sorayaking, Jan 29, 2:53am
A fella I know that owns a B4 told me you can't even change the spark plugs yourself gotta get a garage to do it.seems very dodgy to me.