RCD for caravans

3084me, Jan 25, 12:32am
Hi all . I posted a while back now about our caravan and how all its wiring e.t.c is original, and when we went to a caravan park that had upgraded their power outlet thingys (come on Im female . all I know is we plug our power lead into their power providing sockets :p)
Anywho . we are going to be getting the internal RCD (the new thing we need!) . . who do I phone to get a price for this to be done! is it a auto electrician, or a normal electrician! . and is there any recommendations of one in Auckland area (we are in West Auckland) that will do this for us!

jerichord, Jan 25, 12:48am
normal electrician, it is 240volts, goodluck

3084me, Jan 25, 12:57am
Thanks jerichord :o)
Another Q . I dont want to sound ditzy when I phone an electrician lol . is it called an Internal RCD that I am after upgrading! . I just dont want to get on the phone and then not have them know what the heck Im talking about haha

elect70, Jan 25, 2:42am
Cost youaround $200 fitted& it is called an internal RCD used to beallowed to fitinline ones on the power lead but the electrical saftey crowdhave outlawed them . Did several for clients who are peed off they have had to replace them withinternal units after just2 years use .

3084me, Jan 25, 3:21am
Great thank you for that :o)
We took our caravan away over xmas, as the park we stayed at had the old power socket thingys . but we have been told by the end of this year all of those will be swapped over to the new ones, so time to get the 'internal RCD' put in :o)
Is that the only thing that needs changing! . do we have to have the outside power point on the caravan changed! (the one where the lead plugs in from the power box)!

kwaka5, Jan 25, 3:44am
You don't have to get an RCD fitted by the way but it is recommended. You can get your electrical inspector when he issues the caravan EWOF to just remove the link in the switchboard of your caravan. This will stop it tripping out any rcd supply. The only thing is to make sure your caravan is up to standard and this will of course be carried out at the time of the EWOF.

3084me, Jan 25, 4:01am
now thats what my husband was going to do kwaka5 . but . he spoke to a 'assoiciate of his' at work, who is an electrician (we have asked him for pricing s on the new rcd, but he is one of those people its best off we just go and get it done without waiting for him ,. if ya get what I mean) . anyway . he said no dont remove it blah blah blah . as if there is a problem with any wiring then the whole caravan becomes live, and that its best to have a rcd fitted . which got me all scared as we have kids and I would hate for anything to happen to them because of something silly we did.
Im pretty sure the caravan is up to standard, as we bought it January LAST year with a brand new Ewof on it,

kwaka5, Jan 25, 7:51pm
If you were closer i would sort it for you but i'm a little far away sorry. Just take it to a sparky and get one put in. It will give you piece of mind. The sparky can give it a good going over for you at the same time. Or if you like you can find an electrical inspector and get hime to put one in and check it over for you and issue another EWOF if you are worried about it.