Goodyear tyres? and general tyre questions

chanelle, Jun 29, 10:59am
Are they a good brand.
Just brought 4 new ones for my mazda and they didnt have the ones i was after and said they did.so gave me a special price on some Efficiant grips By Goodyear. apparently a level up from the "assurance" that have had good ratings in an ad they had attached to it by some consumer statistics!

Have no idea about what is a good tyre and whats not. and just spent a small fortune on rubber.
Also if my fatory standard tyres were 195/65/15 is it better to keep that size. or to have gone up to 205/65/15. my dad recons the fatter the tyre the safer it is. but the retaier said just stick with the ones i had on there!

I drive around town . and on random occasions do an open road drive.
But seems like every salesman sees me coming and i ended up going back to the guy who was the least pushy and arrogant

chanelle, Jun 29, 11:04am
they feel a bit rolly.
I had Bridgestones on it. but as its an import . they had cracks between the tread. apprently a common issue with imports
Bugger as i only brought it two months ago

chanelle, Jun 29, 11:05am
also the bridgestones were too expensve to put back on

andrea_w, Jun 29, 11:12am
How is this a bad thing! It's what they are designed to do
Lucky you didn't by Triangle tyres eh

chanelle, Jun 29, 11:20am
hahaha true true.

Just maybe more cushioning on the road. i dunno. just feels a bit weird. almost like a bit unstable! might be me being paranoid

chanelle, Jun 29, 11:31am
thank you for that. i got a service recently done as being in import and not knowing teh service history. it came back with a glowing report . bar the tyres
They had a note on there and said to me to get them sorted soon as i could afford to due to the cracks in bettween the tread and that it would fail a warrent , and that i should get some NZ tyres on due to them not being in teh best condition even tho they are bridgestones.
which are dam pricey. over 200 a tyre! . the goodyears i got were retail that but bearepairs are having a sale at the moment so saved a wee bit. which helps in these times.

chanelle, Jun 29, 12:37pm
94 mazda axela.
i ended up with 195s. tho my dad went mad at me and said i should have got fatter ones. and that he calls anything smaller than a 205 a "biscut"
tho if its only 1cm difference.O_o

johnf_456, Jun 29, 9:51pm
I would not say below a 65 profile full stop is bad , many cars and especially a lot of cars that have 15 inch tyres often have 195 60 r15 stock like primeras for an example as well as other various Japanese makes. A lot of cars factory do have profiles lower than 65.

phillip.weston, Jun 29, 10:02pm
Guys bare in mind the height of the sidewall on a 285/65 tyre is going to be massive compared to that of a 155/65. '65' does NOT refer to a fixed with, it is the PERCENTAGE or aspect ratio of the width.

205/65 will not only be wider but will also be TALLER, ideally you would want a 205/60 to replace a 195/65 but even than it's not 100% spot on.

Contrary to popular belief, going to a WIDER tyre does not necessarily give you more grip. While grip in the complete dry may be marginally more with the wider tyre (and probably due to less sidewall flex if dropping down a profile), you are increasing the likelihood of aquaplaning and less grip in the wet with a wider tyre, ESPECIALLY when the wider tyre is running low on tread.

Remember, your tyre has the SAME contact patch on the road whether it's a skinny 155 tyre or a wide 295 tyre, assuming the car is the same WEIGHT. The difference what the 155 tyre would lack in contact patch across the width, it makes up for contact patch across the LENGTH. There is only so much weight pushing down on a tyre, and if the contact patch is all used up along the WIDTH of a wide tyre, there is nothing on the length of the contact patch.

Just my 2 cents of rambling.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 10:06pm
Totally vs andy_563 just saying 65 full stop, not factoring in its a percentage not a fixed value. "Also worth noting you would probably not want to go below 65 profile on new zealand roads" What he said.

phillip.weston, Jun 29, 10:10pm
my 205/60's have a massive sidewall compared to 155/65 (yes, this size exists) or even a common 175/65 on Hondas etc.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 10:17pm
Fair enough, no harm done, but just thought I'd make others aware.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 10:22pm
Says 65 here straight out to all cars, not 65 specifically to the ops situation. But like you said above you did not want to over complicate it. But yes you and me know the right answer that not all 65 profiles means its unsuitable.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 10:28pm
To keep it simple I would of said :
Also worth noting you would probably not want to go below a 65 profile on this sort of car on new zealand roads

Something like that, but its not a big deal mate.

papamoabeachfr, Jun 29, 10:43pm
Have you read the fine print in your insurance policy. mine says if tyres and or wheels are not the same size an make as the maker fitsNO COVER

jmkn, Jun 29, 11:04pm
Those goodyears will be fine. Give them a little bit to wear in and you will get used to them.

pandai, Aug 13, 4:16pm
+1

And make sure the wheels are aligned and your tyre pressures are correct.Tyre pressure can affect handling more than you'd expect.