Intrade, Surf brakes help

Page 1 / 2
intrade, Apr 28, 6:22am
got no parts here you dont usually need new seal kit. the seal is seldom rooted you can pop em out clean wash with hot water dry and reassemble the piston back in to caliper and it wont leak. well i always do that and if it would then leak i fit new seal kit .

intrade, Apr 28, 6:26am
spin the wheel on front should run freely straight after somone stomped on the brake. as a test befor you dismental the caliper rest should be logical to you you check the slide mechanism and grease it etc on reassembly and how to pop the piston should be locical to you also i think. just put a bucket under to chatch the brake fluid. Hot water is best to clean brake fluids off everywhere also inside caliper.

mrfxit, Apr 28, 6:36am
No slides on this type.
As I said before, it's a 4 pot caliper (2 pistons per side),
Yep done the strip & clean job on other cars & calipers beforebut need to confirm if the 1 thin pad is theonly thing thats physically different per side.
Already stripped the pads out & compressed the cylinders in & out a few times & it all appears to be moving freely.
Rotors are clean & not scored at all.

Yep normally use hot liquid detergent soapy water to clean & rinse with hot water afterwards & lube with a smear of brake fluid.

intrade, Apr 28, 6:43am
could also be your hose on one side of caliper if its got 2, a collapsed hose or faulty master cilinder causing extra wear on one side only. I got new master cilinder with fluid bowl and sensor for 80$ for a corolla diesel from partsmaster you just ask for trade price.
collapsed hose would show up after somone stomped on the brake be slow in releasing.

mrfxit, Apr 28, 6:46am
Single hose per wheel.
The left drag has been coming on very very gradually, almost could link it to the single pad wear (which is odd in it's self.)
Might have to simply nag the local 4x4 wreckers & see what they have.

intrade, Apr 28, 6:48am
are the calipers the same both side!
if so swap em over and see if it pulls to the other side

mrfxit, Apr 28, 6:54am
mmmmm, worth a look but if I have to pull them off, then I may as well just strip & clean them.

for_an_angel, Apr 28, 8:05am
Pitting on one of the 4 pistons can cause pulling. Now that you have disturbed the pistons by pushing them back you may not be able to pick up which piston is doing the sticking until you strip them. Very common tho I do a heap of them.

franc123, Apr 28, 8:32am
Time for a full caliper strip and REPLACEMENT of seals and even pistons if its needed chap, highly susceptible to corrosion on those, as above.As was said in the previous thread.

mrfxit, Apr 28, 11:06am
Yep agreed & never disputed that possibility, just really short of cash & being really carefull of spending only what HAS to be spent.
Diagnostics before stripping, still have to replace that pad anyway.
A new set would probably far out last the rest of the trucks expected life span.

unideck, Apr 28, 11:55am
Dave, flick me an email (you have my address) send me some details and I will shout you the cost of the pads OK, its a genuine offer mate, very happy to help out OK, and don't be growing another head saying "its all good" just do it, brakes are always a good thing lmao.

snoopy221, Apr 28, 12:43pm
mm long time no sea fxit.
dee ole cabin boy wood say-
strip-clean buff rubber grease new pads.
-y'all no which piss ton is piss in ya off jusss buff the sucker and rubber grease 4 africa- ah-back to zeee good ole days pre air bags-etc.
ole kel ain't usualy wong on toyot-(japcrap)-A
pits will leak BUT square section seals will bind on the ole dangly bits.
and if ya buff off zee dangly bits and grease up zee pitskis-well cost=less pad wear.
As 4an angel(kel) has STATED-he's seen it all b4.[Gawd sometimes metink ole Kel has lived 5 zephy lives-LOL]
But I ain't arguing wiff im-never ave.
****Big ups for Unideck*****2

snoopy221, Apr 28, 12:45pm
Intrade, Surf brakes help
Gawd attenion getter
LOL
In-trade-LOL
**Onya***

mrfxit, Apr 28, 10:12pm
Yep thanks for that, just need to confirm an idea or 3 as to the exact problem over the next week, very much appreciated
Wof guy last week also said the right brake hose is a little perished but not bad, so possibly that isn't helping either (possibly internal blockage/swelling ! & due to replace anyway)
Pretty much anythings possible at the moment.
Light & heavy braking is fine, it only shows up with steady medium braking.
Had to go to Hawera over the weekend & no hassles/indications or otherwise apart from steady medium braking.

$40 hamilton to Hawera with 4 ppl & assorted crap in the back holding 95kph to 105kph most of the way (where reasonable of course)

Got stuck behind a frickin Honda Odyssey between New Plymouth & Mt Messenger braking all over the place & no were to pass, drivingbetween 60kph & 85kph so we had a rest at the top of the mount for a while.
Still managed to do it at about 2.5hrs from NP to Hams

intrade, Apr 28, 10:26pm
its your master cilinder that is rooted.the corolla i replaced the master was pulling lightly to the left as per wof when you apply brake cleaned caliper had slight rust mark thinking that is it reassembled and flushed and it was even worse after . so diagnosed faulty master as one side locked up instantly while the other would not brake much at all after the clean.

mrfxit, Apr 28, 10:34pm
LOL, Ummm yea see what I mean about needing to do some more checking first.
Always possible but mmmmm hope not.

intrade, Apr 28, 10:35pm
here is what i would do . jack front up both side . get somone to push brake slowely ynd you turn the wheel by hand untill you can just turn it tell the guy to hold the brake pedal still with that pressure. run over to the other side and see if it has the same resistance. if not then it is the cause of the pulling. you then dismantel and clean the caliper and inspect inside .flush out the crap with caliper off and fill fresh fluid in master . you use a turkey baster to remove most fluid from master first. then reassemble and bleed that side and test again if it brakes even by hand.
If it seems you go for a test drive. if not you have to deside if its the other side also or the master . you dont need any parts other then new brake fluid at this stage.only after you found the real problem you need to spend money on parts. it all works on logic . if the rubber inside the calliper cant be saved you dont reassemble it with faulty parts etc.

mrfxit, Apr 28, 10:39pm
Yep fair enough but not an easy trick to have it all apart at the moment because it's the only vehicle we have on the road at the moment & the wife's not that happy about hers being off the road for an extended period as it is.

*(my arse is in a sling & the straps are fraying)*

unideck, Apr 29, 2:11am
*(my arse is in a sling & the straps are fraying)*[/quote]

LMAO, love the quote :) if you find its the master or seal kit just mail me the companies bank detail, or yours, and I will pay it in direct for you same day, see, Im good for something mate ;)

mrfxit, Jun 29, 8:15am
Small update.
Done a full set of front pads & bedded in today but still pulling left slightly.
Dang it, made no difference so back to another trick asap.
Will block off the back brakes to see if it will confirm front or rear at fault.
Back shoes etc all appear to be in good condition & adjusted to slightly scrapping.
Might see if I can borrow a brake roller tester or see if they will rent it for a nominal charge.
Any suggestions on who might oblige!

Just passed another warrantlast month, but the mechanic did mention henoticed the slight pull after I mentioned it to him

mrfxit, Jun 29, 8:17am
It's mostly running around town at the moment so is easily manageable seeing as I am the only person here that can drive it.

Yea better get on to a full brake flush at the same time.
Who knows . might just be to much moisture in that side

mrfxit, Jun 29, 9:08am
Yep exactly .BUT . is there such a thing as "a nice obliging Vtnz boss" in Hamiltonthat would let me pop the Surf over just the brake rollers.
It certainly should go a long way towards pin pointing whats going on.

dozerman, Jun 29, 9:34am
Pay for a wof ,can use it as often as u likeVTNZ

intrade, Jun 29, 7:55pm
dont go there. if they find something wrong with your brakes the will void your wof and then you be screwed with no wof you cant legally drive on the road and cops will hand you big fines for no wof .there got to be a garage with a roller in hamilton who lets you use the machine. phillip weston is in hammilton also as far as i recall he myght know

johnf_456, Aug 13, 9:10am
If only you were in Auckland, I could help you out with brake rollers.