Advice on 4x4 ute to tow horsefloat

vic62, Jun 27, 3:58am
Hi - I am looking at buying a vehicle to tow a 2-horse float. I would prefer a ute so I can make use of the rear loadspace without trashing the interior of the vehicle (otherwise would look at a Landcruiser/Patrol type option), would prefer a manual, and a 4x4 as I have been stuck in mud etc a couple of times in the area where my horse is. Also figure that 4x4 would be a bit safer on the road and in bad weather. A lot of people I've spoken to have different ideas about towing etc. Any rules of thumb I should follow! Don't mind if its diesel or petrol. Budget is around the $20k mark. Thanks!

kenw1, Jun 27, 4:06am
We use a Mitsi canter for towing.I saw a neat 4x4 version the other day, not stylish but looked like it would go anywhere.

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 4:22am
Mazda Bounty or Holden Rodeo.

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 4:26am
That's a good truck, but it's not very practical for daily use, more tyres to wear out, higher servicing costs, can cause spinal cord injuries and tooth fillings to fall out.

pittgirl, Jun 27, 4:30am
Make sure it has turbo . our Nivara is OK- Good to have a cab on the back though. keeps things dry

toyboy3, Jun 27, 4:30am
but the wings on the ankleshatand disc at the bottomwhat would they represent

kenw1, Jun 27, 6:20am
The Mitsi is a good wagon, remember you have two horses say 700kgs each, a decent trailer say 900kgs so you are towing around 2.5 tonnes.That is a lot of weight for a little ute to stop, they will tow it ok but will they stop it.

kenw1, Jun 27, 6:29am
A bounty 4wd diesel is only rated to 2500kgs

vic62, Jun 27, 6:32am
What about a 2wd ute verse 4wd ! any opinions there ! I dont really want to drive a truck, as I have to go to work etc as well, and I need it for my dogs.
Thanks for opinions so far :)

berg, Jun 27, 6:38am
Start hunting for a later Navara. They have a whopping towing capacity right off the factory floor. As for 2wd V 4wd, How often do you intend to drive/tow in wet slushy paddocks! If it is a regular thing I would suggest the 4wd. If not the 2wd will be cheaper to run.
My other suggestion would be Rodeo as they are a great truck.

kingfisher21, Jun 27, 7:14am
Plus the weight of say a 2 tonnish vehicle and bingo, you now need a HT license to drive it.

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 7:17am
So! What's the problem!

kenw1, Jun 27, 8:17pm
The problem is that you are right on the edge of the vehicles ratings.

nightboss, Jun 27, 9:09pm
This will cover all your needs and will impress the Horse too.

elect70, Jun 28, 1:34am
Dont muck around with piddlyutesbuy a RangeRoverlikemany of the horsey setjust put a tarp on the rear floor for dirty boots

skin1235, Jun 28, 1:49am
and once that ute has it moving, will it steer the dam thing around downhill corners or will the float steer you. utes are notoriously light on the back end, they're designed that way - to CARRY loads, not pull them

of course in NZ we don't obey the laws of physics and motion, as long as the front wheels are on the vehicle everything else will follow them - get a prado or a large van, at least it has a decent weight on the rear brakes

hondalova, Jun 28, 9:55am
dont get a deisel navara 2003 or newer with the 2.5 or 3litre turbo deisel engines. they are good when going but are expensive when start playing up. had a stx and a dx navara with blown engines at my old work.

im_andrew, Aug 7, 7:13pm
We havent had any problems with our fleet of 20 odd at work.

I would not recommend a pre-2008 rodeo, they are noisy gutless things and the accelerator is in a stupid place that makes it difficult to drive in boots. My vote would be for a double cab turbo intercooled navara (D22 or D40, I believe they are largely the same with the cab removed) or a ford courier.