Clicking noise front of motorcycle? Challange.

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, Jun 28, 8:35am
A bit of a challange here.I had a 2000 Hayabusa that developed a rotating clicking noise in the front end but went away when front brakes were applied. I looked at it made sure things were tight etc etc but nothing obvious to me any way. During this time it got a warrent. Had it in a bike shop for valve clearances etc and asked them to check it out. They found nothing and it still clicked.
Now I know what it was and its been a few years since this happened but curious as to what you guys think here.
Game on, and ill answer any questions.

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:41am
the brake pads rattling in the calipers.

blue35, Jun 28, 8:41am
Brake pad retainer pin fell out, pads slide down caliper(still held in alignment) and was running on the large disc rivits!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:42am
The 'floating' brake disc

gunhand, Jun 28, 8:42am
Nope, although they look loose they float around abit.

m16d, Jun 28, 8:42am
You got a nail in the front tire.no.!

gunhand, Jun 28, 8:44am
No, but later part of this story invloves a tyre and wheel rim change but not what the clicking was or reason to change rim either.

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:46am
Speedo cable.

gunhand, Jun 28, 8:46am
Na.

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:48am
Do they even have those anymore!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:49am
Hmmmm brake lever rattling around!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:50am
Run out on one of the discs!

gunhand, Jun 28, 8:53am
No no no lol, You the only one playing! lol.

berg, Jun 28, 8:55am
Wheel bearings or even steering head bearings!

berg, Jun 28, 8:57am
Part of the tyre valve broken away and rolling round the inside of the tyre!

muzz67, Jun 28, 8:57am
metronome!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 8:58am
Berg beat me to the wheel bearings, if it's the steering head loose enough to make a noise on a Hyabusa you would want to be wearing a Michelin Man suit.

gilligan2, Jun 28, 8:59am
Jesus!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 9:00am
A braided brake hose tapping on the fork leg! A stone stuck in the tyre tread! Probably a metronome though.

gunhand, Jun 28, 9:00am
Well done, it was about to collapse on me at any time. And because they wrecked the front rim and tyre they had to replace both and used same F%&kin wheel bearing and they still didnt know what the clicking was, and this was a shop (big city shop to) that raced bikes etc etc. took a young mechanic in another town to sort it out.
And In 10 mins i have the answer here.
Ok 30 mins lol.

sharlie4, Jun 28, 9:01am
wow, was there any play evident in the wheel!

sharlie4, Jun 28, 9:02am
Obviously the metronome wasn't working though if you couldn't hear that.

keeptightningme, Jun 28, 9:03am
Did the noise come from the front wheel or was it brake related!

berg, Jun 28, 9:03am
Lucky you caught them before disaster happened. Scary stuff

gunhand, Jun 28, 9:03am
Dont know really, and as mentioned it got a warrent while in this state. I kept the bearing for a long time, it was rooted and I showed lotsa people.