Solenoid replacement during starter recon?

badcar, Jun 28, 8:24am
Hi guys,
I had a starter moter reconned 5 months ago by my mechanic (he sent it to be done). Now the starter is not working again, he says because the solenoid needs replacing.
Should this have been done during the recon ! not sure if I should be paying again for the same problem to be fixed.
Cheers

supertech1, Jun 28, 8:25am
Type of vehicle! sealed solenoid!

badcar, Jun 28, 8:34am
2000 hiace van. No idea what type of solenoid

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 8:44am
The solenoid is not replaced in a recon in a hiace very rarely do they pose a problem What is replaced is the solenoid contacts and the plunger inside the solenoid if the solenoid has failed it is simply bad luck.

badcar, Jun 28, 8:50am
no the solenoid was not replaced last time, my question iswhether it is normal to replace the solenoid during a recon while the starter is out to avoid having to do it again a couple of months later.
Cheers

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 8:53am
sorry my first answer was based on limited info you had given now I have correct info your answer is as above:-)

badcar, Jun 28, 8:55am
Thanks bigfatmat, thats what I was after. The recon says it needed bearings brushed and clutch- $365. Thought for that it might have been quite comprehensive.
Thought I should check as the garage origionally said it needed a new battery- $200, then the recon when it still didn't start properly and now this new bill at $!

supertech1, Jun 28, 8:58am
Say it was a Porsche Cayenne V8 Hell yes replace the solenoid.
Hiace easy, test bench ok It happens

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 8:59am
Out of the thousands of Nippon denso gear reduction type starters I have fixed I have replaced maybe 3 or 4 solenoids. You normally just replace the parts inside the solenoid http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.htmlthe housing with the lid off you see is the solenoid its case is part of the starter body inside that is a coil of wire which is the actual solenoid in your case sounds like what is being refered to

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 9:01am
You would need to clarify whether they replaced the contacts in the solenoid if they did not this is bad practice for a $6 part as this could also be the problem because I am only guessing.

badcar, Jun 28, 9:02am
Thanks for your replies.
Would it be necessary/normal to remove the starter motor to test/replace the solenoid!

badcar, Jun 28, 9:17am
Thanks for the vid link too- interesting!

bigfatmat1, Aug 6, 10:48pm
you can test in place to repair or replace is to remove