Need your advice re car just broght (by uncle)

mr_lovebug, Jun 24, 8:45pm
http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/!plate=zo4494

Something in the odometer not seem right,is it electrically or cable/roller!

Traveled home from AK to Ham & the car STILL has the same mileage & the trip meter works,what can we do!Also the car is not what he wants as it a few problems that he don't like it.

Thanks.

intrade, Jun 24, 8:52pm
if the speedonedel moved then it be the instrument faulty. and has nothing to do with if its cable or wire operated it be the spedometer cluster with the problem.

mr_lovebug, Jun 24, 8:58pm
The speedo works but the distance reader is NOT picking up the distance traveled,the trip meter looks to be working (we think)what is the chance that it is only picking up 1k per 1,oookms!

It's also a DIESEL,so it worries me with RUC's.

jerichord, Jun 24, 9:03pm
been fiddled with to evade roaduser charges

mr_lovebug, Jun 24, 9:11pm
Thats what I am thinking,still would like to know if the odometer is mech cable or electaical!

mrfxit, Jun 24, 9:15pm
If it's electronic, you may find out theres a hidden switch somewhere on the dash thats been retro fitted.

mr_lovebug, Jun 24, 9:15pm
If fiddling proven what remedies might we have! (against seller)

mrfxit, Jun 24, 9:26pm
Mmmmmm , tell them to take it back or you dob them in for Ruc evasion.
Nzta really HATE ruc evasion.

phillip.weston, Jun 24, 9:32pm
Did your uncle buy privately!

If there was a switch between the speed sensor on the gearbox and the instrument cluster, the speedo needle would not function either.

Is it a older style mechanical wheel odometer or a newer style digital read out odometer!

gedo1, Jun 24, 9:40pm
Just a point.Did anyone notice when it was bought by your uncle that this vehicle had only dine 10,057 km since December 2004 to November 2010, an average of only 1,676 km per year!What was the car used for in that time!Did the previous owner have it since 2004 or have there been other owners!It does seem possible that the speedo has been tampered with possibly to avoid RUC charges.Take it to a VINZ station and get them to do a warrant check.

gedo1, Jun 24, 9:56pm
So the speed indicator works, the trip meter works but the distance recorder doesn't work properly!I would suggest that at some stage in the life if this vehicle someone has had the speedo out and has tried to 'wind back' the distance by forcing the rollers in the display and have damaged it so that it no longer works properly.Don't let them get away with this!

mr_lovebug, Jun 26, 5:12am
Right,things have been rather busy, sorry not able to reply before now.

The car was brought via TradeMe & NOT checked before picking it up,NO test drives or checks at all.

The trip meter does turn & the speedometer works BUT not the distance meter that RUC's would use.

We are going to remove the speedo/distance meter & get it checked/tested by the experts & get a full report on it.

We have been talkig with LTSA & VTNZ and are working on it now,I will not let the person/people get away with this.

Thanks to all the replys,sorry for the slowness (I have alot going on at the moment & this isjust another thing to worry about).

fordcrzy, Jun 26, 5:38am
ave a look at the tyres that are on it and get the year of manufacture off them.then work out how worn the tyres are and you will get an idea of how many kays its done since the tyres were made.eg if they were made in 2006 and they are half worn then you know its done at least 30,000 kays since 2006

phillip.weston, Jun 26, 5:59am
One could claim that 2nd hand used tyres had just been fitted before the sale.

snoopy221, Jun 26, 8:58am
carjam is currently down atm.
Original poster.
JUST LOOK AT THE DATE ON THE WINDSCREEN RUC STICKER.
I.E. IF! he/she has been diddling RUC's then it's
QUITE LIKELY the RUC date is a FEW! years old it has the date and site bought on the sticker.K

mr_lovebug, Jun 26, 10:59pm
I have rang LTSA (who cares the new name!)talked to the person at the RUC section & asked when & how often the RUC's have been brought (this is odd)
On the LTSA end it works out,but not in my book,Last ruc brought was only 1k,then may 2010 another 5k,Oct 2009 4k,so that is 10k of RUC's in 2years,something just NOT add up in my book.

LTSA is not worried about the car cos the sale of RUC's etc.

I still do think that speedo has been played with.

mrfxit, Jun 26, 11:09pm
might be ok tho.
Some months I only do about 1000k / others I do upwards of 3000k

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 3:51am
Read the posts above. The speedometer works and the tripmeter works, but NOT the odometer. If it has a mechanical cable (which is highly unlikely) which has been unplugged or cut, then neither the speedometer or tripmeter would work. If it has an electronic speed sensor on the gearbox (highly likely) and the signal has been intercepted between the sensor on the gearbox and the gauge cluster, then again neither the speedometer or the tripmeter would work.

I think the gauge cluster itself has been dicked with, if the speedometer is still working and tripmeter still rolling over but not the odometer.

mrfxit, Aug 3, 9:58am
LOL yep.
Brothers EB coon Odo hasn't worked in the last 6 years