Toyota Cressida brakes

budgel, Jun 25, 11:31pm
My son has told me that he was driving his Cressida when the brake pedal went straight to the floor, after a couple of pumps it worked ok. There doesnt appear to be any loss of fluid from the reservoir, and it was ok while nursing it home after that.

It is parked up at the moment, but he wants some idea where to start looking.

Any ideas for a random thing like this!

clark20, Jun 25, 11:36pm
Might be time to rebuild the master cylinder, happened to a Previa at work.

Edit. I assume you have checked the fluid!

tmenz, Jun 25, 11:42pm
Faulty piston seal in the master cylinder - probably a bit of perished rubber caught on the edge of the seal causing it to leak before being displaced.
Fix it immediately - replace all the fluid as well.

trader_84, Jun 26, 12:04am
Mate! A great opportunity to do some 'father/son time' while ensuring the jobs done right :)) Might pay to ring around also . to see what its costs for a rebuilt/new one . you'd be suprised at how cheap some of the older stuff is compared to later model gear. Then weigh that option up against buying new seals/boot etc to rekit the old one. The old one might be that knackered it won't take a kit. Good luck!

budgel, Jun 26, 10:48pm
I immediately thought Master Cylinder, but no fluid loss had me a little bewildered.

He lives in a different town from me, So it will be advice and financial help (Again!)

ceebee2, Jun 27, 10:07am
It is definitely a faulty / worn out master cylinder, the check valve in the primary circuit has worn out.DO NOT drive till you have replaced with a brand new / reconditioned unit.

johnf_456, Aug 2, 5:03pm
Master cylinder