L300 LWB 2.4 petrol opinions

graham32, Jun 27, 6:18am
What are the engines like, I am looking for a van to cart around my bikes, Hiace far to dear for what they are.any opinions greatly received

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 6:20am
the 2.4 tends to have oil consumption issues, even when brand new. Bare in mind a 2010 model is no different to a 2000 model.

graham32, Jun 27, 6:23am
this one is a 95 model, sorry should have mentioned that.

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 6:25am
95 would still be the same SOHC 16V engine the current model has.

graham32, Jun 27, 6:28am
Thanks for that phillip, any other issues with them as far as reliabilty !

intrade, Jun 27, 6:31am
yea its a mitsubishi l300 are one of the worst heaps. Rust for 1 example

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 6:40am
x1
So long as oil is kept topped up and cooling system isn't neglected the 2.4 Sirius goes just about forever, though will no doubt get smokey around 200,000kms. Gearboxes are more or less the same box in RWD Sigma and Starions, I wouldn't say they are fragile but perhaps could be more heavy duty. Like any van which is 16 years old I would check for rust along the roof gutters etc. They don't seem prone to rusting early despite what intrade says. I've seen plenty of near new Toyota vans with rust issues developing early.

berg, Jun 27, 6:42am
What PW said

graham32, Jun 27, 6:49am
why do they eat oil, is it a ring issue, porous bores or weak valve stem seals !

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 6:58am
The Sirius family of engines tend to have really hard bores and soft rings. Some just eat oil right from the very beginning, and some are fine for most of their life. Make sure the cambelt history is up to date as the 16V engine is an interference engine.

petermcg, Aug 1, 1:03pm
My mitsi vans are OK , one had rust in the floor under the drivers feet, its petrol and i just had issues with auto choke staying on, the other is diesel and has broken cam belt twice,, I had to replace the rockers when that happened, Most people say these vans are shit, but there not expensive and there easy to fix so as long as the price is right for you, go for it.